Best Mic????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What would be the best mic to record everything from vocals to violins, woodwind to brass instruments?

Should it be dynamic or condenser?
    What about that new samson condenser that has come out for like $79?
    Shure maybe sm57 or 58?
    This will probably be used witha stand alone digital recorder maybe witha pre amp before the recorder maybe not?
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    As long as you don't record drums (except for overheads or room mics) or guitar/bass cabs, condenser is generally better. AKG C-1000 is a good choise. SM57 is also a safe choise for all kinds of use.
  3. Typically, violins and wind instruments are recorded with small diaphram condensor mics like SM81's. Vocals with large diaphram mics like the AKG. If you're looking for an all purpose mike that can record snare drums, guitar amps, maybe vocals... go with an SM57. But it won't give you the dynamic range you need for strings or most wind instruments.

hope that helps
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'm not kidding. Try a Rode NT-3. It's a medium-diaphragm condenser that can be found new for under $150. I use one for vocals, but it's great for instruments, too. Also, the Rode NT-1 (at about $150 to $200) is excellent for a wide variety of uses. It's a large-diaphragm condenser without the frills of multiple patterns and attenuation, but sounds fantastic. Rode mics are great bang for the buck. Now, if you want to drop $1,000 to $4,000 for "the best" mics, peruse the Neumann site.

Stay away from the Samson stuff. Ick. Check out Shure mics, too. While the SM-58 is an industry standard, there are better mics for your wide range of applications.

I'm also giving you a link to a thread I started when my mic GAS was high.

Rode mics

Neumann mics