1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Mics?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Mar 8, 2002.

1. im sure this has been asked many times before, but i have a huge migrane right now and to lazy to look, so im going to shut my eyes and type..

im going to start building up a ' mini studio ' in my house, nothing big, nothing special.. just for me and my buddys to record songs and have them come out good.

now i need to know what mics are best for what..my main concern is getting that.. " static hiss " in the background of ALL my mic recordings... what mics will not give me any "hiss" and be very clear just so vocals,bass,guitar whatever sounds like it should.

what mic for-

Vocals-
    Bass Guitar-
    Electric Guitar-
    Drum Mics-

thanks guys... and sorry if this is ' just another post about microphones' .. ok, im gonna go pop some pain killers for my head.

edit-and i dont want to really relie on my LINE OUT port on my amp, i perfer micing evreything, i think?

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Sm57

3. 57 would suprise you with amazing result.

But if you want to record vocals, you might want to get a large diaphragm mic. My suggestion would be trying a Shure KSM 32, or 44.

It's basically a cardioid condenser mic, except 44 which has a polar pattern select switch, and a slightly different sound than 32.

This is the mic that is on Jay Leno's table. The reason I recommend this mic, is simply because of it's affordable price and quality. I think they're quite good. But again, 57 would almost get everything done nicely:)