Best mid-priced 5 slap/pick bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 9, 2004.

Which is the best quality for slap/pick.

Poll closed Jan 16, 2004.
  1. Ernie Ball MusicMan SUB 5

4 vote(s)
  2. Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5

1 vote(s)
  3. Warwick Streamer Standard 5

4 vote(s)
  4. Ibanez EDC 715

1 vote(s)
  1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm wanting a 5 banger to pick and slap so I don't have to worry about tuning down on songs. Which would you say is the best sounding, most comfortable, with cut-throat highs?

2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm not too fond of the Lakland 55's. I love the Joe Osbourne's and Bob Glaub's, but thats it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Shame you don't like the 55-01. It is better than any of those, IMHO.

You might also consider a G&L L2500 Tribute.
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    From your list, the SUB 5. Fantastic tone - not like a Stingray 5, more like a Stingray 4 with a low B! Slap and pickstyle is what it does best too, I reckon.

Russ :bassist:
  5. MTD Kingston 5. I've got one. The thing is like a sonic knife in a band context... very mid-heavy tone.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I got a Lakland 55-01 used 2 weeks ago and it is fantastic. I have played alot of basses and have been impressed by some and thought others were not for me. I found this bass and it has been easier to play than my Roscoe Beck. You cannot compare the two basses but what Im saying is the RB5 while an excellent bass could not by itself convert me to a five string only bassist, but the 55-01 definatly could! My next bass will probably be another Lakland (I need to sell some of the other stuff I have though)
  7. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    how heavy is your 4-string skyline?