Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best mid-priced slap basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonas., Jun 5, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    hello.

i'm getting very much into the slap side of bass and i was wondering if there were any mid-priced basses that are really good for slap. I mean any basses that stand out and scream "SLAP ME." i have about £600 to spend max.

P.S i looked at the "best bass for slap" thread in the newbie links, but it didn't help me much because a) i have a tighter budget and b) there were too many recommendations.

thank you all :help: :oops:

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Ok Im a BIG slapper and the best bass for me all around and for slapping was a MIA Fender Jazz deluxe BUT thats a bit out of your range (I think , not sure of currency differences) IMO the absolute best bass you could possibly get for around $400 USD Is a MTD Kingston!! I think its better than alot of basses that are like in the $800 - $1000 price range I absolutely love these things I wish I had one They play beautifully and are monsters for slap!!

you wont be dissapointed :bassist:

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    All basses are slap basses. It just matters how they're set up and such. Honestly, one of my favorite slappers is the Fender J.

4. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    thanks for the quick replies.

i was just also wondering if there were any key features that i should look for in a bass, which would help my slap sound.

AND just so i kill 2 birds (queries) with 1 stone (thread). i've been looking at this bass here, http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=047 . A steinberger. are these basses any good as a main bass or am i best getting something else, like a fender MIM (roughly the same price in UK). Are they good for slap, and are the double balled strings which they require readily available?

thank you! :)

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Honestly, I would stay away from the MusicYo steinies. MIM J will be fine.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think two great mid-priced slappers are the SUB Sterling for the MM tone, and the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz for that Jazz/Marcus style tone.

7. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    Whafrodamus why don't you like steinbergers?

if i got it i wouldn't get it from MusicYo if thats what you recommended i boycotted.

thanks again everyone :)

8. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    Oh, and finally, to kill a third query with one thread, how do you slay a bass like a ricky 4003 when it has a pick up cover going over the strings which obstructs a large area of the bass.

oh arn't rickies very slapable?

9. You remove the cover. It's as simple as that!

OT: BTW, are you Swedish Jonas?

10. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    No, owl i'm british, what makes you think i am swedish??

Oh and, whats the cover for if you can just remove it straight away ??

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's cosmetic. Ric's aren'tthe best of slap basses. My ric would always have a problem with the string hitting the pole peices when slapped.

12. Jonas is a very Swedish name, that's all.

For mid priced slap-basses, I would recommend a preowned Peavey Cirrus 4. Great bang for the buck (or pound in your case).

13. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    my name is Jonas. its a weezer song. thats all :)

14. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I would reccomend a OLP Stingray. They are pretty expensive here in norway, but i guess they are pretty cheap over there.

I loved the slap tone, especially on the ones with Maple fingerboards :)!

Cheers,
    -Erlend

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Used US Peavey Millenium Plus, if you can find one. Get the one with the MM/J pup setup. Or as mentioned, a used Peavey Cirrus. Both sound great slapped.

16. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    that shouldnt be a problem anyway because you should be slapping on the start of the neck , say if yyou have a 22 fret bass you should slap around 21 or 20

17. I love Jazz basses and I think they are the best basses for slap. Comfortable neck, 20-22 frets (which tends to work better for me than a longer fretboard), bright single coil pickups.

18. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Well I have a MM Stingray which is great for slap. It almost begs me to be slapped ;) . But I'm going to buy a Jazz Bass within a month or so, not because I don't like the Stingray tone, but a Jazz is just ... different. Both MM-type and J-type basses are great for slap, but it's the amp and the player (and the strings and pickup and so on) that 'do a great deal of the magic' IMO. I'd say try some basses in a local store and see what you like best regarding tone, feel, sound, etc... Everyone's taste is different afterall.

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Used Stingray or quality Fender Jazz (or clone), preferably with active EQ (like the marcus miller sig for instance).

20. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Jonas,
    I have a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe for sale in the UK and have just sent you a message about this, its great for slap!

Steve