Best MIDI pickup for 'controller' use

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Charling, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Hi!

I've searched for this topic but I don't think there's been any threads on it exclusively.

I make alot of electronic music, and I have a MIDI keyboard to trigger my digital synths (I use Reaktor 4 and Absynth 1) but I am not all that good at playing it! It makes sense to trigger/record MIDI with my bass because its my first instrument, but I'm wondering what would be the best system to get. I looked into the gk-2b but i understand that it's mainly for use with the dedicated boss synth/effect thing, which I cant afford and don't need to buy.

Anyone know a good system I can plug into my computer and go with??

How about live, does heat/humidity cause problems due to the string tuning's changing slightly?

Anyone know what controllers it effects, besides pitch and (i assume) note length? ie. does playing a note and detuneing the string send pitch bend info?

Finally, are there any systems with assignable controllers, so you can controll, for example, filter resonance from your bass??

Sorry, thats alot of questions! any help would be great

thanks, Owen
  2. Hi

I think you can use the Roland p/up with just about any device that requires this sort of input, it isn't just designed for the v-bass, it can be used with other midi converters.
    When you described what you wanted to do, you went from pick up to PC, you probably know this, but you will neeed a midi converter such as a Yamaha G-50, Roland G120 or the Axon unit to convert the signals picked up by the GK pick up into midi data!

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Pretty much what sshorepunk said.

The GK-2B can be used with a number of controllers, but you'll still need a convertor. There are, for example, two flavors of the Axon controller. One is a guitar to midi converter only, and needs an external sound module. They also do one with sound bank built in.
    Pitch bend etc depends on the controller and the program within. With the Axon, you can say within each program whether to use pitch bend info or to quantize to nearest semi tone.