1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best mixer for Headphone practice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Dec 19, 2018.

1. I'm getting a TC Electronic VT Bass Deluxe DI and some kind of mixer to plug it into, probable Mackie Mix8 and an AKG K240 headphones. I don't want to have to worry about headphones being pulled out of the jack since i live in an apartment.
    I need a mixer that can put out some headphone volume. I'm careful enough I won't blow my eardrums out. I'm looking at other mixers to

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The only reason I can think of is that there is no EQ.
    One reviewer said these used to be $30 instead of $40.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  4. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    sf bay area
    I have a cheap Alesis mixer I run my DI into for headphone/computer mixing and practicing at home. DI from the SpectraDrive straight into it and computer into the USB. I like this because I can record everything as well and see how bad I suck.

When I travel I bring a mini board with my SpectraDrive and my microtubes X for stand alone practice and I'll bring my 2i2 if I want to record anything.

I think for what you're looking for any number of the small mixers (4-8 inputs) on the market would work out very well your trying to do. Like I mentioned above, the Alesis 4 input one I have works fine for my needs, only downside is there is a tiny bit of noise on the signal sent through USB but its ok otherwise. I'd think the other options at a GC or something would work out well also.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Stumbo and Two-Spirit like this.
  5. I have a Mackie Mix5 that I use for practice, it is nice being able to play along with tracks piped in from my phone and get the levels right. It has been a very useful tool.

Will add that the power supply might be on its way out, it has been making a buzzing noise a few times the last week until I press on the back of it. Had me freaked out cause I just added a new power supply to my board and I thought that it was coming from that and not the mixer at first.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  6. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I have an older Behringer Eurorack 4 channel mixer for practice. I phone into stereo RCA's - bass into channel 1, headphone out.

7. JDMcDorce

JDMcDorce Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sanford, MI
    Mix5, Mix8, plus (cough) Behringer has a couple of Xenyx series mixers around the same price point or lower. Part of it depends on what your thoughts/plans are beyond just providing a DI to Headphone interface (such as RCA vs. USB interface if you are looking to mix something else in other than the DI). I've run the DI output from my Ampeg SCR-DI to either a ProFX8 or X1832 to headphone with good results, but both of these boards are overkill for your application as described.

I can understand why the Micromix isn't suiting your needs - the unbalanced out doubles as a "headphone jack" with only output control being the gain.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The Soundcraft Notepad (I have the 5, there's and 8 and 12) is what you want.

• Firstly, it's a brilliant headphone amp
    • One channel of hi-z so you can plug the bass in without needing the preamp if you wanted
    • USB soundcard functionality, link it to your laptop to jam with youtube or record
    • Proper XLR outputs so unlike every other mini-mixer this is actually a mixer when it needs to be

9. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    What about a Phil Jones Bass headphone amp? I have a Bass Buddy and not only does it sound great, it’s amazingly flexible. They are a little pricey, but the BigHead is quite a bit less. You could probably get a good price on a used one. Headphones are important too, not just quality but impedance.

10. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Rolls PM351

11. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I've had a Mix8 for a while now. Use it mostly for headphone mixes but the direct out gets use as well. I bought it when I was looking to use my Digitech Sdrum and other Aux inputs without having those signals pass through my amp. The Mix8 was super cheap and worked out exactly how I hoped it would. Wish I would have started using a mixer sooner.

LRM_EXPORT_255828296026847_20181222_105148644.