Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "MM-Alike"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 3, 2003.

Your Favorite "MM-Alike"

Poll closed Jan 2, 2004.
  1. Tobias Growler

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. MTD Kingston

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Washburn XB900

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Ibanez ATK

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. G&L L1500

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Warwick FNA

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Other (please describe below)

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. It seems that Music Man-style basses exhibit a much greater variety in their design than Fender clones. Which of these MM-inspired basses do y'all think to be the best instrument of the lot?

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    What about Lakland? That would be my choice!

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I have heard "Dillion" music man copies are good, but its passive. Very few of the copies are active, i guess to not infringe on ernie ball, who knows..
    r.h.

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have owned three basses that were definitely MM inspired in tone and design. One was the Warwick FNA, it had a single MM5 humbucker and a SD three band preamp. A great bass and I wish I never got rid of it. It certainly did'nt have the look of a MM but the tone was very MM like but more refined and Hi-Fi. The second bass I had was a Status Graphite Groove bass, it had a triple jazz pickup and a two band preamp. This bass on the other hand looked inspired by the MM as well as sounded very close to one as well. I owned a G&L L2500 for a while, it is, of course a two pickup bass but can get a MM like tone as well.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Marleaux Straight

Human Base Xover

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm rather fond of my FNA four.

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I own 2 Eko basses... they are similar to olp music man copies... for 200 euros it's one of the best basses you can afford (here in Italy) ... I owned a mexican fender stu hamm and I SOLD it after purchasing one of my Ekos.... this music man copy sounded SOOOOOOO much better!
    The only problem is you can't get a warm jazzy tone out of this bass... but to me it's perfect I play rage against the machine covers

8. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I forgot to say...
    I tried a warwick thumb (passive) and my bass in a 10' amp and my Eko just buried the warwick...

9. I teach beginners and one of the guys has a Cort MM like with a jazzpup on neck. this little bass sounds awesome. It has growl. A lot
    And it's cheaper than a lakland...

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ibanez ATK300- Ash body, maple neck and FB. Can't get much more MM sounding than that, and they can be had for around 300.

12. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Lakland IMHO :cool:

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a Dillion 5-string MM copy and it has a nice MM approximation for a passive bass. Well-made, too. Floppy B-string and rather cheap stock pickup, however.

As for active, I'd have to go with the Ibanez ATK. It's the only bass I've ever gotten rid of that I truly miss.

14. For a Musicman "alike" bass, I'd have to go with OLP. Once you change out the pups to Musicman hubuckers, sounds just like the real thing!

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    lakland or real deal ray.... accept no substitute

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Warrior
    G&L
    MTD

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    This one!

Its a maple neck/swamp ash Mighty Mite P-bass body with a Rickenbacker 4001 neck pickup and a MusicMan bridge pickup. Both pickups are wired directly to the output(No knobs. Two mini on/off switches...FREEDOM!). It cops a great P- Rick- or MusicMan vibe. Hence, I call it the PRickenMan!:)

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

Exact same feeling here, the ATK300 always brings one of my best memories regarding my playing and tone.

19. I 3rd or 4th the Lakland vote.
    Superb instruments.

20. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo