1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best MM Style pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Denbobular, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Denbobular

Denbobular

Nov 17, 2006
    Quorn, UK
    Well, thinking of making a bass that has MM pickups as I love the tone. I've decided to make it double pup and i'm wondering what you think is the best MM style pup that can be coil split. I plan to connect each to a toggle switch to switch from humbucker to single coil.

By having 2 MM pups with split coil capabilities I intend to get loads of different tones :D It can techinically go:

NH, BH, NH+BH, NJ, BJ, NJ+BJ, NJ+BH, NH+BJ

Any help?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

No best, just best for application. That said, I like the Bart MMC's. They have a great tone with a nice glassy top. They aren't nearly as aggressive as something like a real MM or the G&L's MFD's so they aren't as good for hard hitting rock, but they have a great voice by themselves.

3. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    I love the sound of my 2 Bart MM34C's, set right next to each other back by the bridge.

JMHO

4. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
  5. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    I've heard great things from the Kent Armstrong MMs and they don't break the bank either.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    The nice thing about pickups is that if you buy secondhand, and you don't damage them when installing/removing, you can effectively try them for the cost of the postage and the ebay sales fee.

7. I put two of Carvin's 6 string MM's into a Yamaha bass along with an Audere 3ZB 4 band. The bass doesn't really sound like a Musicman to me (haven't Ab'd through the same amp) but that probably has a lot to do with differing pickup placement and scale length. It does produce a wide range of clean, useful tones, including single coil sounds. The "flat" setting can seem a little bright on some amps, but I can always dial in plenty of beef with the EQ, especially in low Z mode.

Due to some negative opinion, I might not have gone with Carvin if I had known of other companies manufacturing 6 string MM pickups, but they honestly sound really good with the Audere in my bass, and not much like Carvin basses I've tried with the same pickups. YMMV.

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i put a Nordstrand MM into my Stingray. It's tone is great. Clarity and bottom--about as close to perfect as you can get.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

+1 The MM style pup in my BB75 kills. After hearing all the "bland" comments on carvin pups, I was actually shocked at how ballzy this thing really is.

10. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    +1 on the Carvins.

I put 2 HB4's on a Cheap Dean Edge 09, and it has Mucho balls.

[​IMG]

Mike

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    In order of preference:

Stock Stingray pickup
    Nordstrand 4.2
    Lane Poor
    Aero MM
    SD Basslines Alnico
    SD Basslines Ceramic
    Bart MM pickups (don't really do much for me)

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I replaced the Bart in a Lakland 444-02 with the Nordie 4.2 and thought that was a real improvement. Nice detailed mid's and punchy as all get out.