Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best model mutron envelope

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pigpen02, May 14, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    which model is it that i'd want if i was trying to get that flea sound of sir psycho sexy? pro's and cons of various models from mutron?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

There is only one model on Mutron envelope follower. (OK three if you want to distinguish the original AC, from an original DC, from the RI Mutron III+, but let's not get too picky here.) Whether that is a pro or con is up to you.

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    so....are there any differences between those?

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Well, the originals are considered better sounding by some including me. The main difference is that the III+ uses a digital signal to control the envelope, while the originals used a photo-optic cell. The difference between the original AC and DC versions is that the DC ones were the only version actually made by Musitronics. The AC version came latter and were made by the company that bought out Musitronics. The circuit is slightly different, too, in that the AC versions have an internal trim pot that can adjust the sensitivity of the photo-cell.

If you are new to envelope followers, you probably wouldn't really hear any difference. BTW, many companies make envelope followers, not just Musitronics. They just happen to be the first, and are considered by many to be the best.

I have a MoogerFooger Lowpass Filter by Big Briar. I prefer it to the Mutron. Mutron is a close second IMO.

5. I beleive that both the AC +DC versions have the trimpot. Very handy for tweaking the response so the gain doesn't have to be stupidly high. This pot only effects down mode.
    It is trendy to slag the re-issue, as I once did, but I now know it to be much smoother than many (if not most) of the newer EV filters I've tried. With Mutron prices being as low as they are right now I'd go for an original first. I actually use both for very different things.

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have a reissue HAZ MutronIII+ and it ain't too bad. Of course nothing beats the older ones, but the reissue may be worth a try. I also have one of the old Mutron Phasers and it is quite nice, too. I don't use it much, though, cause I don't wanna ruin it.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I just got an AC MuTron yesterday. I've only spent a few minutes with it but I have to say it rocks. The only complaint I had was that the gain control and the sensitivity control are the same knob. Now that I know there is a trimpot that should solve some problems. One other problem is that when the effect is turned off it seems to distort the signal when I have the volume on my bass turned up. I guess I could just rig up a true bypass box.

8. No true bypass on these puppies. You can mod it with one of those DPTP switches (or whatever they are called..) My old 'Tron had one installed by Dave Barber. I sold it for the AC one. Make sure you take note of where the trimpot is set so you can put it back if yopu need to..

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's DPDT (double pole double throw) but you were close enough:D

10. The re-issue is actually pretty good. Not anywhere near the sound of the original of course but a very different animal with it's own funky vibe goin' on. It has a very smooth sweep which I have found to be a rare quality for EV followers. Even my fancier ones had a sort of "stepped" sweep to them.

11. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    The sound in Sir Psyco Sexy, isn't a Mutron. Its a EHX Bassballs. They were just recently reissued, and are a vailable for less than $100 !