1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best modern 5 string for the price range!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bstringkyle, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hi Guys! I'm want your guys opinion. What is the best modern style 5 string in the $1000 price range. I want something that will compliment my US Spector 5 and Ibanez BTB675. could be new or used. I was looking at Warwick corvettes, Dingwall Combustions, and MTD Kingstons. Thanks!!!

Kyle

2. bwest9

bwest9 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I mean, it's hardly a topic that gets addressed around here... I really wish this forum had a search function...

3. sorry i should have searched around more.... how can i delete this thread?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Lakland 55-02, Brubaker Brute, or Lakland 55-01 and upgrade the pickups and preamp.

There's a used Brute in the classifieds in the $500 range, and it already has Lakland pickups and an EMG preamp. Grab that and be done, use the rest for a new amp or some pedals :)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    An Ibanez ATK-805 is a great choice. The new Mexican Fender Dimension Deluxe V looks like it might be great too. Used, there almost more choices than a person can name.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Carvin SB5000 with the active option is the best bass in it's price range. They're having big sales now, check'em out. Also see the SB5000 thread because I posted a great video of the bass with it's different tones.

:bassist:

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Depends on what you mean by 'complementing' the other basses?

I suggest something different to compliment, rather than more of the modern ish stuff. ; try to get a nice fender or a laklabd 5502 would be the ****

8. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Stingray 5/used is always a great choice !

9. All great choices!!! i Saw a used Carvin For sale in Classified that is a strong contender... Im really looking for a Dingwall Combustion used but they go quick whenever one pops up lol

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Video of the Carvin. Sound up! First part is slap/scooped tone, second is jazzy fingerstyle. Sound is amazing.

11. That bass sounds unreal... you are right i will definitely look these up

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Phil, the tech at Bass Gear magazine had great things to say about the bass. Same for Tom. Phil is VERY thorough when he does his reviews of basses. He's a tough sell and he made a point that the Carvin was built right here in the USA while defeating many of it's Asian price-range competition.

13. can you give me the link to where i can order one of these from the carvin custom shop?

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    New SUB 5 and pocket $700

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I will admit to being very biased, but I like the Carvin SB5000 and the USA G&L-2500.

16. The Carvin SB5000 definitely has my attention... if i wanted to custom order one, how long does it take for it to arrive?

17. ericf1

ericf1

Jul 18, 2013
    just posted in a new thread....Best Buy is offering a Jazz 5 string for $449.00. Wish I could play well enough to justify the purchase.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Another vote for Carvin. Carvin are easily the best bang for the buck in the industry. When a local luthier saw my Carvin he asked what I paid and I told him. He said flat out he cannot compete with that price point, it is insane. Since they CNC everything and offer everything straight to you it can reduce the overhead greatly.