1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best modern light rig for $1000?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by aglide, Nov 30, 2017.

1. aglide

aglide

Jun 27, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I got an unexpected windfall of cash, and am thinking about buying a light rig for my 3 piece jamband. We mostly play in local bars, but sometimes get outdoor gigs with up to a few hundred people.

I'm looking for something with LEDs that can be controlled when we have someone to dedicate to that, or set on autopilot.

What would you buy if you were starting from scratch today and had a thousand bucks?

2. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Get a couple CHAUVET DJ 4BAR Tri systems, one for each side of the stage. They come with a controller and carry case right in your budget. It would be easy to expand on the system later on, if you wanted.

SuperK, s0c9, DirtDog and 1 other person like this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    +1 - that's about as good as it get for 1K.

aglide likes this.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    71F9672E-0922-4EC6-BADE-5BE27FAE7532. 828A49BD-A7F7-40D3-85D5-44F728059130. 73770B0A-949C-494F-97BC-3B067F6C51FE. Monoprice 9x10 color mixing in the bulb LED pars at around $65 per unit. Rock... generic 16 ch DMX controllers are $100 or under. Mine is from MCM. Top 2 pics are 6 per side. Stage was about 40’ wise Bottom pic is 2 per side. Stage was 25 to 30 wide... only had the 4 available as the others were deploy in the 2nd pic above. I have 18 of them....

Notice how light it is in the first pic and we still got a nice warm amber going... these puppy’s put out some light. You won’t even see the Chauvet above these guys... plus Chauvet service sucks... we had troubles with an old 4 bathroom rig and they were no help at all...

So for a grand. 10 of the pars, a controller, a mile of dmx cable, a couple of trees...

I have 2 groups of 6 hard mounted to cross bars, 4 under 2 up per group. The other 6 are hard wired and clamped to a tripod pole. Think stop light. Those work alone in narrow venues and out down a lot of light. Big outside shows, I put them side stage. I bought some tripod extensions from Ultimate Support. The front set goes up on a tall tripod plus the extension. The side stage set is just the Ultimate Support tall tree. For transport, I pull the pole out and fold up the base. So this rig packs down nicely, deploys quickly. Last season was I think the third year on it. So far so good...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    @4Mal
    The lighting in your pics looks really nice; but I am not clear as to the make/model of the fixtures to which you refer.
    Sorry to be dense but can you be more specific? Thanks in advance.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    As far as auto pilot... on my controller (Stellar Labs Chauvet clone) there is an auto fade function. There are chases and that stuff built in as well as music sending. Most of that stuff gets annoying in a hurry. When doing lights for my band, I try to make a good, bright color selection. That Amber color in my first pic is a good example. Light the stage, set and forget. If I need blinky... l’ll put a couple on the floor nestled into the drum kit and in front under the keyboard. Set them on music sensing so the pulse through the color list with the beat. I try to keep that stuff to a minimum though. It looks gimmicky after a while... when I get to do lights for someone else I generally as and go with a few basic scenes plus blackout. Less is more... if you are a Floyd tribute, then never mind... ;-)

9. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The LEDs in these color mix in the bulb. Each led makes red, green, blue and white. So you can get pretty much whatever color you want using a dmx color mixing chart. I use one from Robin... no shadows or off color outlines as you get with the older technologies... of course. Tomorrow the Monoprice lights will be older technology if they aren’t already... kinda how this biz seems to work. If you an buy it, there is something better in the pipeline..

11. Watching

12. aglide

aglide

Jun 27, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Nice, some pretty awesome suggestions so far. I love threads like this. I'm curious about the details of the various stands/crossbars/trees/tripods/etc you guys are using with these single lights you're buying. Got any links?

13. aglide

aglide

Jun 27, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Also, the Pulse light from Newark seems to be more of an array of different color LEDs, compared to the Stage Right light at Monoprice, which "color mixes in the bulb". Is one of those considered to be technologically better than the other?

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used to own the a set of 4 of the pulse lights from back when MCM was stand alone. The are on par with the original Chauvet 4 bar type lights. Not a competitor today ...

Color mixing RGBW in the bulb is head hands and feet better. You have access to hundreds of colors that are simply not possible with the separate RGB LED approach. No shadowing, no weirdo artifacts... and they are many, many times brighter.