Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best modern sports car

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Dec 22, 2004.

1. TVR Cerbera Speed 12

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. McLaren F1

16 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Pagani Zonda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ferrari Enzo

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. Chevy Corvette

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Ford GT40

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Lamborghini Diablo

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. Porsche Carrera GT

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. Toyota GT1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other(please specify)

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Lamborghini Miura

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Jaguar XKE (aka E-Type). Coupe.

3. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec............

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Lotus Super 7, or the Caterham Super 7. Some of the others you listed are more like UberCars...not attainable by mortal man. The Lotus is considered by many to be the ultimate traditional sports car. Following the 7, I love the Lotus 11, for modern sports cars I like the Miata.

BTW, JammaDave, the E-type is another fave of mine. You have good taste, sir. The D-type is a close second on the Jags...

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    the back to the future car!

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The DeLorean "Snowmobile"? Really... ;)

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    absolutely! :hyper:

8. I'm suprised someone voted for the Mclaren F1...........seeing as the Cerbera Speed 12 eats it for breakfast.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd just like to say, you Americans aren't allowed to vote in this thread.

This is a thread for people who know about cars / how to build cars.

Oki?

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wait, I'm the one who brought up the Lotus, which is a proper English sports car...Colin Chapman's creation! And I have a thing for Jags as well...I know my cars! I also know how to build 'em, mate! I know about Avon tyres, and Spax lever-type shocks...and why Lucas is known as "The Prince of Darkness"... :p

11. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I dunno... we have some damned fine engineering over here...

Screw ford vs. chevy...

America vs. Everyone!

13. Funny thing how American companies are keeping 3/4 of these Euro Auto marques afloat.... ;)

The way I see it, the distinction of alot of former exclusive brands like porche and bmw and even ferrari is becoming so blurred, where it seems many of these makes are more accessible to modest-income drivers than they were even 15 years ago.

You have soccer moms driving Mercedes SUVs, and Land Rovers, and BMW Ms's...

The lines are so blurred, and the technology so incestuous that it almost doesn't matter where the origins are. Have you SEEN the new Chrysler supercar? 0-60 sub 4 second. And it looks every bit the part of a well dressed aston martin.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have the feeling nick started this thread so that he could argue about how superior the Cerbera Speed 12 is to any other car that someone suggests.

brad cook

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have to admit I missed the "modern" part of the question - The E-Type went the way of the dodo some 30 years ago... And the newer Jag coupe/convertible (XK8) just doesn't look the part to me. Looks like a Camaro on steroids.

So, in terms of modern sports cars... Hmmm... The Koenigsegg is purely incredible. The new Bentley Continental though is my favorite. (And before anybody points out the similarities to the XK in the rear quarter window area, I know, but the rest is so much better looking)

Nick, I don't know why sheer speed should influence the vote here - everything you listed in the poll might eat other cars for breakfast, but to me, I say "So effing what?". "Style" is so much nicer, "luxury" even more worth the extra cash.

Oh yeah, and I'm an American. I happen to like the C5 Vette and the new 2k5 Mustang, but those are the firsts in a long time for both cars that I do like. Plus, they're more affordable (esp. the mustang).

My Nissan Murano is plenty fast for driving anywhere I need to be. 0-60 is something hovering around 6-7, but 60-to-90 is only 2 or 3 seconds in D mode, boyo (to borrow a term from Nick himself). Had an Eclipse [chuckle] trying to overtake me at 70 and left her in the rearview instantly.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I have the same funny feeling, lets see how it pans out.

Also, I agree that Ford Corp. and General Motors are both american firms, and they only keep Euro car firms afloat with the money, NOT the design.

Ford vs Chevy? Don't make me laugh.

Thats a socioeconomic problem rather than a 'which car is best IYO' question. The middle classes are becoming broader, less religeous and more bent on their own improvement, and more importantly showing that improvement to your peers, hence flashy cars.

Thats merely indicative of having 2 umbrella corporations that produce more than 80% of the cars driven in the western world. - Ford ordered Jaguar to give up its design for the XKR to Aston Martin for the Db7. Theres brand incest for you.

But, crucially is isn't an Aston Martin, its not hand built in Britain, and it is American built, so its falling apart and malfunctioning, right about..... now.

17. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Bah, they stopped making good sportscars about 30 years ago.

And back then mopar ruled them all. :)

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    is that good? :p