best modern tone/hi-fi setup you've heard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vooch311, Feb 18, 2006.

1. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    Describe, in your opinion, the best/most modern hi-fi tone you've heard live (or in a store) from a setup. Bass, amps, cabs, effects, etc.

I'm really love a modern sound and would like to hear from other peoples experiences.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Difficult to answer. I was advised by someone, perhaps even on this forum, that "hi-fi" does not refer to the same thing on bass amps and home entertainment systems. In the latter case, it calls for flat response, low distortion, and low noise. The "hi-fi" bass sound was described to me as mainly calling for elevated highs. I decided to call my flat response low distortion preamp "transparent" instead.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    That's easy for me. It was a band that played after mine in N.Y.C. last year, and the bro' had a Fodera Emperor 5 (maple fretboard) running through separate pre and power amps into an Epifani 3x10" cab. I don't know what the electronics were, but I think the power amp was a Crown. Just incredibly powerful, growly tone. It was modern, but with lots of texture, not that glossy sheen of so many modern basses and rigs.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's easy. Tried a guitar players AI Clarus into a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10" cab. Very very hi fi. Not enough volume for my needs though.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Ask John Prock (Prockenklang).
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For the record, I would consider hi-fi to be a flat clean reproduction of the bass. I sure don't want elevated highs. And yes, transparent is probably a better term.

What would be considered low distortion and low noise in a bass amp would make an audiophile cringe The noise floor at a gig is just so much higher than the noise floor in a home that most audio hi-fi would be overkill. Just the hum from the pickups would be unacceptable to the average audiophile.

The money is better spent in making the equipment rugged, which is something your home entertainment system shouldn't need to be.
  7. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Phil Jones 6-pack on top of the matching Pirhana 3x3.

Fifteen 5" ceramic drivers. PAINFULLY transparent, lol. If you have any fears about your technique, play through one of these for a while and they will become night terrors. I really dug many of the things about it, especially the head. I definitely see the stand alone head in my world someday. PJB really did a lot of things right building those amps. Rock solid, intuitive, dripping with big, fat, transparent power, but the 15 stack just didn't have enough lows for bigger spaces. On large outdoor stages the drummer was always complaining he couldn't feel the bass. I'm sure that's solved by the 24 driver model (24!), but that wasn't quite "in the budget".

For a stand alone rolling combo, the 6-pack is the bomb. Huge sound from a tiny package. Looks cool as hell, too. Like R2D2's bad ass kid brother.
  8. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Plug yourself directly into a board and listen with a good pair of headphones. Want that that sound but louder - use sound reinforcement (aka PA) speakers.
  9. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    WOW!!!! Way cool stuff on there site. Checked Bass Central for pricing though...............ouch! :crying: :eek:

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed on the transparency of a Phil Jones Bass rig. I have the m500 head and 6T and 9B cabs. It's funny what you said about your drummer; I bought mine because I was able to hear things I couldn't before (and not just feel bass). I would imagine that playing outdoors would be too much for it though...haven't done that.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Probably true. Bass amp noise varies all over the map. There's probably 25 dB between the input noise of a 12AX7 and a good discrete JFET, with op amps in between. Not only is hum omnipresent, but also the resistive noise of a high impedance pickup.

There are definitely some unique problems in bass amp design. Ruggedness and portability. Another that is ill-understood by hi-fi designers is overload response, as it is possible to design a hi-fi system that is 100% immune from overloads.
  12. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I went against everyone's better judgment (but my own) and chose an Ashdown MK500 over a Thunderfunk. So far I'm happy with the decision - the MK500 gives a great modern tone. It's sort of an uber-Trace Elliot if that makes any sense.

I play mine through Avatar cabinets, which sound just good enough to keep me from wanting to buy something more expensive, but I'm sure if I were running Bergs or Epifanis it would sound even better.

Funny story - John Howard, a friend of mine back in Austin who plays in Nashville with Sixwire these days, used to have this spit and bailing wire rig consisting of an old Ashley preamp, a half-dead Crown power amp, and some garage-made 1x15s. Somehow that rig sounded about as good as anything I've heard since. Maybe it's nostalgia...
  13. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    The best sounding (to me) hifi rig Ive played is an epifani 502ul into a bergantino ht322. Its very hifi with just the right kind and amount of musical color. I liked the 502 better with the berg than an epi 410ul. Ive played more transparent rigs but to me they sounded a bit too bland.:)
  14. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    lol, yeah it does.

Never even heard of Phil Jones till now. Very sweet looking gear! I like the 16 x 5 cabs, not your everyday cab. Very anxious to try his stuff now.

I have a berg ht322 sitting around, just waiting on a 1.5 demeter vtbp to get here so i can try that bad boy out.
  15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

For my it was my Glock HeartCore into one of the original Epifani 2x12"s. WOW!

Dan K.
  16. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    I think the Whoopo Jr has a very Hi Fi sound. Sounds so much like a bass coming out of your stereo. Very clean and articulate. Can get dirty if you want too. But its an amazing tonal cabinet. Got a bad rap for the accuswitch but if it's the sound you are looking for, I would cast my vote on the Accugroove Whoopo Jr. Easy to transport too. For an amp the Demeter 201 or a Alembic F2B and Crest CA6 sounds real good. The EDEN WT 800 also sounds good.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Epifani UL502 into a couple Epi 112's, or the 410UL. Basically, any Epi cab or combination of.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some kind of jazz bass feeding a Walter Woods Ultra into a Bergantino HT322.
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

warm in just the right places, while fast, responsive and quick in that modern way.

also, surprised no one mentioned anything EA, which ROCKS the modern hifi'ness.
  20. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    My Glockenklang Soul bass head + Glock. 4x10" Quatro cab is quite over the top for hifi tone !
    But be careful, for Glock. hifi does not mean steril or cold.... incredibly warm tone come out this wonderful rig !