1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Mods for a Fender P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mancefine, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Jul 7, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Hello All,

I just bought a MIM (99 model) Fender Precision. It's about as standard as it can get, black body with a white pickguard, rosewood neck. It actually is set up and plays great, honestly alot better than the 2 American Precisions GC had. I want to modify the crap out of it, and this is what I'm thinking based on the little bit of research I've done:

BadAss II Bridge, Geezer Butler EMG P pickups, Black Pick Guard, Brass Nut, and eventually a 70's, or in the least American, Precision Rosewood Neck. I really want to try the Geezer EMG's as I play Sabbath esque rock and my main bass is an active Spector Euro 4 lx with an EMG P/J set up. I'm hoping that the Geezers will give me that punch I get from my Spector even though they are passive, while still allowing me to dial that classic Jammerson P tone when you roll the tone knob all the way off that you just can't get from anything else than a Precision Bass. The neck is what sold me on this bass, as it has a laquer or something on it and is super smooth and plays just fabulously, I just really hate the older MIM logos that have the serial number and MIM all on the front of the headstock by the Fender Logo, and Precision Bass is written in like Helvetica font. It's one of those gripes that will make many of you tell me that looks or where the bass was made don't matter, it's how it plays, etc. I agree to some extent, but I still think that a 70's neck would have to blow a MIM out of the water. Anyway, while I'm stoked about moding this bass I have to wonder if I am aware of all the options or cool things I can do to it. What are some cool mods you TB'ers have made to P-basses?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Tort pick guard is all you need.

Black/Tort/Rosewood is awesome.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You can have a TV put in it.

That's a cool mod.

You can put wheels on it, and drive it around, as long as you're kind of tiny.

4. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity

Feb 15, 2009
    Bridge J pickup and replace tone pot with blend pot.

StayLow and drunkenDAYlewis like this.
  5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    D-Tuner.

Flad and AltGrendel like this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The neck sold you on the bass... why change it? Vintage doesn't mean better, it means older.

This is my Fender P, not much is stock and it has some stuff add since.

[​IMG]

steamthief and josiah goldfish like this.
  7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    " ... many of you tell me that looks or where the bass was made don't matter, it's how it plays, etc. I agree to some extent, but I still think that a 70's neck would have to blow a MIM out of the water." ...

... a 70's neck is going to have a completely different profile ... I much prefer the MIM Standard (all eras), early Hwy 1, and even many headstock adjust Squiers over a 70's Fender neck profile ... certainly each to their own, but not sure exactly how any neck would 'blow another out of the water' when they wont even have the same specs ... you could end up with a different fretboard radius, and even different size fret wire along with the different shape and profile ... could very well even be a significantly heavier neck ... so you may prefer one over the other, but country of origin is hardly a deciding factor to make a blanket statement on, especially since there are several different models available from that country ... if you like the profile currently, an '08 to current MIM Standard is going to be the same profile, only with more tint and without the logo you dont care for ... JMHO

... Edit to add: by the time you change everything you mentioned, the only thing you will have original is a multi-piece poplar body from probably one of the 'weaker' era's of MIM Standard basses ... ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. If a bass plays that well, the neck would be the last thing I'd change on it, frankly.

9. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    +1

You can refinish the headstock and put a different decal on it, it's not difficult.

josiah goldfish likes this.
  10. Don't change the neck! MIM Fender necks are amazing! Some cool mods: series/parallel switch or push/pull pot for P pickup. Phase switch for P pickup. Most people don't like this one (I used it once), but wiring the tone pot to cut bass instead of treble. Or a switch for the tone pot so as to switch to different capacitor values. The Badass bridge mod is always good if you can find one.

11. mancefine

mancefine

Jul 7, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think that I will just put a new logo on the headstock instead of replacing the neck. It really does play superbly and it seems like a waste of money, and with my luck I would get what I thought was a better neck that turned out to not be as good. I really love how fat the MIM neck is. Also, I do think I'm going to go tort over black on black. Don't think I'm going to put a J pick up in it. I already have that with my Spector and I really want a true Precision, even though I know that in theory adding a J pickup would give me more tonal options. Do you guys have a recommendation for tuning machines?

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love Hipshot HB-7's, they should be drop-in replacements on a Fender Standard. The matching bass x-tender should be a BT-7 if you are going that route.

Why change the logo? Anybody who cares what it is will not be impressed by a logo swap, and everybody else doesn't care.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Slap a J in there!

Mo Jiggity likes this.
  14. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    That's a lot of mods. I'd just buy a different bass that you already like.

15. The only thing I'd change on my MIM Precision is the bridge and pickguard. The pickup on my p-bass are absolutely loud and stunning; why change it?
    As for the neck...well I'm fine with rosewood

16. Best Mods for a Fender P Bass?

Relic the finish through years and years of play. Nothing else needed.

Eric66 and Flad like this.
  17. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Poly finishes aren't going to relic like nitro. It's going to take forever to relic a poly finish.

Remyd likes this.
  18. Not as long as you might think, but the point I was trying to make is that a PBass doesn't need any mods. I would dump the white pick guard, but even that isn't necessary.

Eric66 likes this.
  19. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I've had 20 year old poly that looks brand new with some minor scuffs, but I don't want to open the fake/real relic finish can of worms. Totally agree that a Pbass really doesn't need mods, but mods are fun sometimes.

20. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Vintage pearl or tort pickguard.

Done.