Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best mods for Marcus Miller bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Those of you who have one, what is the best mod you have done to improve it. I would like brands, and your thoughts of them with this as far as Pick ups, pre amps, shielding, pick gaurds, anything. I need suggestions.

Thank you.

Mr. Pitiful

2. i know that marcus has a sadowsky pre amp

3. I believe thats only on the American made 5 string. The 4 string is made in Japan.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Marcus's OWN bass has a Sadowsky modified Bartolini preamp. The one in the sig bass is Fender designed, I think.

5. yeah i know but i was saying that sadawsky preamp is a good idea

6. Personally, I use my Sadowsky outboard pre and that brings this bass alive (I've had my MM 4 for about a year). I am considering sending it in and have Sadowsky put in their Pickups and add an onboard preamp....consider that you can get a MM 4 for around 700.00 new (PLAY A LOT OF THEM FIRST!! to find the "Right One") and add the onboard, their PUPS, get shipping and everything and get a GREAT setup from the EXPERTS of Setup for about another 500.00 and you can't beat it!!!!!! 1200.00 or so total invested!!!!!! for the Schizzzle.......

I own a NYC Vintage 4 and I just ordered a Natural Finish "Retro Metro" Ultra Vintage 70's 5 with White Blocks and Bindings and I am stoked!!!!! Save your self about 1500.00 and take the advice in my first paragraph first though!! If you like the result, buy the REAL deal and get yourself a Sadowsky!!!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No, you were saying that Marcus has a Sadowsky preamp. Which he doesn't.

I wholeheartedly agree with tommixx's post except the part about getting it set up by someone other than yourself. Unless there is a fret that needs to be filed or a serious electronics issue you can't fix, it's a waste of money. You can do your own setups, and if you take the TIME, you can do it very well. The action on my fretless Yamaha is the lowest of any bass I have ever played, and I consistently get a lot of comments on how low the action is -- and guess what? Not a store tech in sight during any of it. Check Gary Willis's site, he has a great setup guide.

8. I replaced the two plastic knobs by chrome ones....
    But I will change the preamp for the sadowsky one soon, preamp is home, waiting for the luthier!

Vince

9. Govithoy...

I am referring to having the pickup heights, intonation, fret dressing (if necessary), and having the cavity properly shielded after adding the new PUPS and Pre....Let's not forget,that not everyone will do a "good" job at these things....my point was that if these guys do the installation they will properly do ALL the things that go along with doing that installation....after all, they have only done what, 6,000 or 7,000 setups?????? Far more than I have and I have been playing for over 33 years.....

I am not saying that one could not do the work themself by any means...I just know that the setup I received on the Sadowsky I purchased was PERFECT....far better than I woud have done.....it needed only a slight string height adjustment due to some settling from NYC to VA....They will send you all the parts and you can do it yourself...but for about 75.00 difference I'd prefer to have someone who has done it at least a couple hundred more times than me do it instead of me.....just MY opinion mind you, YMMV :D

And just so you guys know the Sadowsky crew will do a custom setup anyway you want it based on what you tell them you want...low action, higher action...tighter string tension (larger string guages) different types of strings, etc etc etc....whatever you want they will do it for you for What I believe is a BARGAIN price.....

Peace,

T

10. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Thank you all, keep em comming.

Mr. Pitiful

11. I'd probably do something about the pickguard and leave the rest of the bass :bag:

12. "Personally, I use my Sadowsky outboard pre and that brings this bass alive"

whats an out board pre amp?

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    An outboard preamp is a preamp that is not inside the control cavity of a bass, but rather on the outside. They usually look like little effects pedals and you just plug into em just like you'd plug into any pedal. I hope that makes sense....

14. Mr.Pitiful,
    I'll be getting my Marcus in a couple of week's. Yes, a lot of people talk about the Pre, but the Marcus sound's like a very cool Jazz Bass! (77' style!) Now, my suggestion to you is, check out Harmony Central's bass review section, and pull up the reviews on the Marcus Miller Bass. Everyone's comment's are cool, but read what a gentlemen named Tommy Thompson has to say about the Passive/Active switch and the re-arranging of the pot's. To much to go into here, but scroll through and read ALL his comments. I've e-mailed him with questions, and he's very knowledgeable about this bass. Hope this helps.

Bobbo77'

15. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Bobbo77, you will love your MM. I love mine to death. It is the sweetest playing bass and is very punchy. I am just board, and probably looking to spend money I dont have. I would like to find another pick gaurd for for it though. Does anyone know where you can get one? You really cant use a standard one as you have a separate cover for your battery box. I am strongly considering getting the Aguilar 924B or the OBP1.

Thanks

Mr. Pitiful

16. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I got rid of the stock bridge, pickups, and preamp. Replaced them with a Fender strings-thru or top load bridge, Jason Lollar single coil pickups, and no onboard pre (I do use the aguilar db924 outboard). I love the bass now. How cool is the neck and body on the mm?

17. It seems as though this Tommy Thomson knows a bit about the MM bass. Do you think hes for real. From what i've read its hard to think hes a fake. The work seems risky.

18. Sadowsky outboard preamp here.......

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_preamp.html

I use it on all my basses except my Sadowsky.....I should say I have NO AFFILIATION and am not compensated in ANY WAY for my endorsements of Sadowsky products...I am a professional who uses them everyday....YMMV... :hyper:

Peace,

T