1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best molarity of hydrochloric acid solution for metal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muaguana, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm thinking 3.2M/L. What do you think?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What's the metal? Heavy metal? Lead? Arsenic? You haven't provided enough information to form an opinion!!

Did you try the search function n00b?

3. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Best acid for metal? That'll be peroxide of course, those chaps would never be without it ; )

4. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland

Methinks that joke grew old a while ago. Pointless rehash is pointless.

5. purple micro-dot is the best acid for metal. :p

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Orange double domes without question!

7. My cat's breath smells like catfood.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Ah, in my day it was double globes.

9. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone.

No, no
    make that Quaker State.

10. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel

Apr 19, 2009
    Come on dude, you skipped the "What's the best base for metal" joke? If you're going to go with a chemistry joke go all the way.

Oh, and Barium Hydroxide FTW.

11. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the Litmus Strips. They taste like Franken-Berry

Mmmmmmm.......Litmus.......

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Personally, I'm a fan of Muriatic acid AKA 12 molar HCl. Does wonders on metal as long as you wash it off rather quickly and remember to oil the surface once you get it clean.

otherwise it rusts away rather quickly

13. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Maybe the point was to get you to post another old, rehashed joke in response to provide an extra dose of irony?:eyebrow:

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Twelve.

15. Go with Nitric acid. Don't forget to add a bit of glycerine for stability.....

16. concentrated HCl - 37M.

That should take care of your metal (and your mettle).

17. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Small tale, a friend of mine took a Blue Pyramid out in Spain in the 80's. He was up on the roof of the apartments where the washing was being dried out on lines catching some sun, so he walked through this cotton forest, lovely.

But then he stepped off the edge of the building, fell 5 floors, hit a outlet pipe on the way down and was scraped off the pavement by a cop with a gun whom thought he was a trouble maker.

They took him to a hospital to operate immediately, but of course, they couldn't put him to sleep because of the acid, he was concious and trippin' through the whole thing ; )....he can laugh about it .......now : )

And so, back on T, Blue Pyramids are not the best acid for metal.

18. Munjibunga's advice is likely to be highly appropriate in this matter.

Word of caution: a 12M/L will behave as a tremendously acidic solution with a pH of -1.0792. I'd advise you use acids such as Fluoroantimonic acid (pKa= -25 at 298.15 K), perchloric acid (pKa= -10 at 298.15 K) or a mixture of fluorosulfonic acid and antimony pentafluoride (commonly called Magic acid: pKa= -15 at 298.15 K) for such high acidity applications.

Some data on the nature of metal you're using will obviously help matters immensely.

Edit:

I wouldn't advise such high molarity HCl for any practical purposes. 37M equates to a pH of -1.57. If you do require such highly acidic solutions, use of other superacids (as I've listed above) will be pragmatic (and, not to mention, cost-effective ;)).

19. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I find that the 0.082 M that occurs naturally in human gastric juices is nearly ideal for most metal situations . . . except for nu-metal 'cause that stuff sucks.

20. Ibanez