1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best/Most Cost effective way to ship a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lm183902, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The last time I shipped a bass, I went with UPS and wound up paying $98 Price included insurance) to ship from Florida to Indiana, and it was an awful packing job. Is there any alternative,or is this pretty much what I should expect?

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I took it to a local music store, they packed it and fedexed it (insured) for $80.. Worked out great.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I just shipped UPS from ohio to St. Louis for $25 and some change .That was insured also.

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    take it to DHL, I keep telling people this. Pack it yourself to your expectations and ship DHL. I've shipped 50-65 pound amps all the way across the country for less than 30 bucks insured

5. jazzenfunk

jazzenfunk Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    bay area
    I work for DHL. Shipping rates should be expected to rise with all carriers due to fuel costs rising again. Here are some tips when you ship:

*Always try and ship overnight. Either build this into you asking price or negotiate with the buyer to help defray the cost. Most damage happens during handling during transit time. Ground service is loaded/unloaded in and out of containers, trucks etc many times. This is when your item is most vulnerable to dropping, forklift damage and yes, theft.
    Ship it overnight and it is only handled a minimum of times, and the buyer doesn't sweat for 6-10 days awaiting his/hers cherished purchase.
    note: if shipping within the same state or neigboring states, groundservice can be only 1-2 days so check with the carrier for transit times/cost, overnighting would be waste here.

*Try to avoid having your shipment sit in transit over the weekend.
    Nothing moves sat/sun, they are either at a transit facilty or in a trailer, neither of which are temp controlled. It can get extremely hot/cold in those places. Plus it can expose it to chance of theft.
    If are are shipping ground, try and do so on mon/tue to get delivered
    by friday. Don't ship on thu/fri if you know it will not deliver until the following week.

*Always pack or have it packed by a pro if you are not used to packing things like basses/Amps.

IMPORTANT: Remember to always purchase full value insurance. Don't worry about loosening the strings, that will not matter if there is a claim for damage.

There is no carrier that handles frieght gentler than another. This stuff gets handled very rough, I see it everyday. UPS,FEDEX,DHL, are all the same and have very similar procedures throughout thier system.