Best/Most used model of the Sansamp pedal? Used an effect/stompbox in front amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sergius Durante, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Sergius Durante

Sergius Durante

May 21, 2019
    Two years ago, I was that bassist sworn to this pedal (despite having no experience or using one)

But Im more curious as to what is the best variant/model? Or rather, what variant of it do you see most often? Why get one/could you mess with your current tones set up to get what you're looking for?

I know of other pre-amp pedals, but the sansamp is the only one Im familiar with that does not always add some insane distortion (I may play metal bass but that doesn't mean I want that annoying type of bass distortion that makes it sound more like a synth). Assume Im a novice to this topic, especially considering effects (as I normally play clean but alter my eq settings)

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    BDDI and VTDI have got to be the most prominent, with the BDDI winning on numbers by virtue of having been around for eons.

3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I got a SABDDI v1 in the early 90s. It warmed up my solid state rig nicely.
    I don't think they v1 had much power to drive a power amp, but in front of a rig as a pedal it did a great job. I think later versions fixed this.

I kept it on the 'SVT' style patch, and it didn't let me down once ( until lost in 2017 fire).
    I later got the Programmable version (three pedal switches), and found that it was an excellent pre-amp if set 'flat' (a bit of an undertaking, but possible). I had variations on a theme on the other two switches - one being slightly overdriven. I kept the SABDDI v1 as an effect pedal to add 'oomph' (a tubey sag) as needed since the SAPBDDI didn't do that part quite so well.