Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Motown Bass For Less Cash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 2, 2002.

Best Cheaper motown bass

Poll closed Oct 16, 2002.
  1. Fender '62 Reissue P-bass

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Fender '57 Reissue P-bass

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Fender Sting P-bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fender MIM P-bass

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Fender MIA P-bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Fender MIA P-bass Deluxe (The one with the big humbucker)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fender P-bass special (P J Setup)

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Fender Jazz Bass

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. Somthing That isn't fender

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Other Please Specify

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Seen as 60's fender p bass arn't exactly cheap what would make the best motown (James Jamerson) like bass?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Pricewise, this poll is missing MIJ P-bass. Well, ok, the Sting model is MIJ but it's '52 reissue and doesen't exactly qualify as modern day P.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Essex P bass copy!

4. From the list, the fender 62 RI P bass.

However, The Essex basses are worth a look if you're looking for a sweet bass with nice tone for a dirt cheap price. Check out the BG-80 at www.rondomusic.com

5. I would probably buy a '62 Reissue (preferably sunburst) and slap some flats on it. That would give you all the warmth and depth of the old Motown recordings. Sure - it will cost you quite a bit, but it will also look and sound pretty much like the "real deal"!

6. Also if you want the Jamerson sound, keep your strings on for say.... 3 years or so. ;)

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

HOWDY
    I think the schecter model T. Robert DeLeo of stp uses them and he is very influenced to motown. I would recomend a 1960's fender P bass but i dont think that is the price range you want. Their is a Schecter custom shop T bass on ebay give it a look. Good Luck