Best Motown Bass For Less Cash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 2, 2002.

Best Cheaper motown bass

Poll closed Oct 16, 2002.
  1. Fender '62 Reissue P-bass

12 vote(s)
  2. Fender '57 Reissue P-bass

2 vote(s)
  3. Fender Sting P-bass

0 vote(s)
  4. Fender MIM P-bass

4 vote(s)
  5. Fender MIA P-bass

0 vote(s)
  6. Fender MIA P-bass Deluxe (The one with the big humbucker)

0 vote(s)
  7. Fender P-bass special (P J Setup)

1 vote(s)
  8. Fender Jazz Bass

1 vote(s)
  9. Somthing That isn't fender

1 vote(s)
  10. Other Please Specify

1 vote(s)
  1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Seen as 60's fender p bass arn't exactly cheap what would make the best motown (James Jamerson) like bass?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Pricewise, this poll is missing MIJ P-bass. Well, ok, the Sting model is MIJ but it's '52 reissue and doesen't exactly qualify as modern day P.
  3. From the list, the fender 62 RI P bass.

However, The Essex basses are worth a look if you're looking for a sweet bass with nice tone for a dirt cheap price. Check out the BG-80 at
  4. I would probably buy a '62 Reissue (preferably sunburst) and slap some flats on it. That would give you all the warmth and depth of the old Motown recordings. Sure - it will cost you quite a bit, but it will also look and sound pretty much like the "real deal"!
  5. Also if you want the Jamerson sound, keep your strings on for say.... 3 years or so. ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the schecter model T. Robert DeLeo of stp uses them and he is very influenced to motown. I would recomend a 1960's fender P bass but i dont think that is the price range you want. Their is a Schecter custom shop T bass on ebay give it a look. Good Luck