Best MP3 Player Headphones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I took the plunge and bought an iRIver H140. Great sound and lots of storage for my 22GB of music.

I'm in the market for the best (and lightest) headphones. I know I'll spend upwards or $150. But I'm not ruling out earbuds too. Just don't know where to begin.

How about those headphones that Steve Rabe sells at his website? Anyone use these?

Raven Labs Headphones

Anyone got a recommendation? Brand? Price range?

I need good bass response. I listen to gospel, smooth jazz, old skool R & B, funk, no rock or acid or metal or new wave stuff. Plus it has an FM tuner and I listen to NPR pretty exclusively.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Do you need enclosed headphones?

Beyer Dynamic BD 250-80 are a great deal for the money if so.

For open, the Grado SR-60's are amazing value for money at around $70.

For in-ear, I like the Sony MXR-EX71. They're around $50. I use these with my own Iriver H140 (great taste, by the way!)

If you can stretch to $220, the Etymotic ER-4P are supposed to be the absolute shiznits for portable players. I have a pair of those inbound. The Etymotic ER-6 are around $100, and also supposedly excellent, if not as good as the ER-4P

A really good reference / shopping site it
  3. There are many, but these rank among the best…

- Wil
  4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'll be reading this stuff for DAYS!!

(no sarcasm... I'm REALLY excited!!)
  5. in my opinion, the highest quality of headphones I have ever used are the headphones that come with iPods, you don't to have an iPod to use them, you can buy them seperately (i tihnk they are about $50) they sound great, especially for earbud headphones, I often use them at school so it is convienient to be able to have only 1 in at a time.

thats my 2.5 cents
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I bought my Etymotic ER-4Ps based on rave reviews all over the internet. They do not disappoint. They are less convenient than the stock iPod phones, to be sure, and although I thought the iPod phones sounded pretty good at first, they quickly became an unacceptable compromise next to the Etys.

I also use them for my home computer "studio" dalliances. If I have a gig that requires in-ear monitors, these will work for that, too...

Want to hear things you've never heard in recordings you've been listening to for years? Get yourself some ER-4s!

I paid about $250 for mine... there is also a model available in the $150 range, I believe...
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    A large Finnish technology magazine rated both iPod Mini and Creative's similar player and both original headphones were classified "basic cheap earphones" - iPods were a bit better, though.

I have understood that Koss Porta Pros and The Plugs are classics on this field, and also I've been happy with my Sennheiser outdoors model, DT111 I think. Of course most of my home listening is done with AKG 240Ms which are nice inexpensive monitor earphones.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to have Koss' The Plug, and I liked them very much, although the amount of low end depended very much on how the plugs sat in your ear. An advantage is that when they fit well, you have less wind noise (e.g. while biking) than with other plugs.

I also found that the Aiwa plugs were good too, way better than the respective Sony plugs.

Now I have some Panasonics which sound pretty good, forgot the model name, but a little cheaper than The Plug.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have Koss' The Plug. I'm not at all a fan of ear bud headphones but I have to admit these are great for the price. Good bass response and pretty good sound. $15 or less.

brad cook
  10. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I just got some enclosed-ear Phillips SBC HP170's at Target for around $20.00, they're comfortable & sound pretty damn good for the price, bass response is tight and clear.
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Got mine today, these definitely don't disappoint. My Sony's were fine, but these have a much more '3d' sound - very full frequency response. I listened to our last CD on them, and could hear elements of the recording I couldn't hear before.

Since they fit in your ear canal, it's a bit odd at first. But I got used to it.
  12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Anyone here got the Ety 4P's with the Headphone Amp at ??

It's a little over the top I'm sure, but I travel a lot and I REALLY like to have my music with me. Which is why I got the iRiver.

I also got the iRiver for another reason. WIth my whole CD Collection on one device, I can patch the line out to my mini mixer, plug my bass into my Behringer Mixer, then plug in some good enclosed headphones and jam along to my favorite tracks. Great practice!

(pardon my enthusiasm. I've wanted to get this kind of set up for the last 3 years!!)
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I find the foam covers to give better bass response (better fit, I guess) and be more comfortable, FWIW.

Mario, I've considered picking up one of those preamps... but I didn't want to risk getting spoiled on it and having to lug around another box... :)

Be sure and post a review (or PM me) with your impressions if you get one! :)
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    So- an amp needed for the ETY-6s? seems to say an amp is needed to drive 'em.

(in other words, I don't want to go nutz & wanna stay under $100)