1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best multi-effects device for Ambient sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Just got a Boss GT-3. Designed for guitar so the stock patches are mostly useless but there are a few really nice ambient patches. Michael Manring uses one of these for his effects when he plays live.

Are there any other multi-effects devices that are geared toward ambient sounds/effects without all the overdrive/distortion/wah etc and would also be best for bass?

2. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    I've kindof had my eye on a digitech EF7. Some people say it's great, some say it's crap, can't really figure it out, but it looks like fun.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Roland's older rackmount SDE, SDX, and SRV series units are very good for ambient effects. Lexicon has made a few as well that are worth trying out.

For a pedal, check out the VonRutter Echo Ohce. He's not making them anymore, but they show up used now and then on Ebay and TGP.

4. Line6 M13.

5. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    +1 on the M13. I can't get enough of mine. I use it with my basses and my Moog LP for some very spacey effects.

6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Can you create your own patches?

Thanks

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Korg A4 Bass is the one I always use for ambiant tones.
    It has wonderful real time settings (all parameters can be accessed through knobs and sliders), it can self oscillate and feedback, the synth is super bassy and deep, reverb is fantastic. You can alter tone on the fly very easily.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Eventide Eclipse (and many other Eventide rack units) are ideal for ambient music, much more so than most other units. They're very expensive though.

9. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    Yes. Basically, the M13 allows you to create "scenes." A scene is 12 effects (of your choosing) arranged in a 4x3 grid. You can turn on up to four of those effects at a time. You can create loads of scenes using different effects. And all effects are tweakable, so there's a great range.

My typical scene involves a compressor or overdrive > mod (flange, phaser, chorus, etc.) or delay > another delay > another delay or reverb. It can get pretty spacey pretty quickly. Good times. I like delays!

When I go clean I typically use one of the compressors and a little reverb. Simple but effective.

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Jibreel,
    Have you tried the GT10B yet? I don't have any experience with the g**tar version - but the bass unit has some really neat options geared toward ambient sounds. The wave modulation, dual blendable channels, modulation delay are some of the tools it gives you. It's got a couple of pretty spacey preset patches - "Coldcut" is one, if you can find it on the Boss/Roland site. They're neat to fool around with on their own, but very valuable to pick apart to see how they were put together.

Just about any multi will give you chorus, reverb/delay etc etc... but it sounds like you're looking for something a little more than that.

11. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    I guess Line6 M9/M13 would be best choice, considering size, ease of use, sound and variety of effects.

And by the way, filters are very creative tools when we talk about making ambient music with bass!

12. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks All. Great suggestions !!

Time to spend some more money

I am pretty set in the bass and amp department. Now time to fill out the effects !

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They unbeatable but yeah, I didn't even think it was worth mentioning them.
    They're also difficult to control live unless you use a large midi surface.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had an Eclipse for a few week, and returned it because it was TOO ambient for me- went back to my trusty old el cheapo Boss VF-1.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The korg ax3000b has some pretty cool ambient effects. if you're lucky enough to find one on ebay, buy one. this multi-effects processor has a large variety of effects, amp and cab models. you can easily create some ambient effects with it.

16. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Does the M9 do scenes like like the M13 does?

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yep. I'm not sure if it's as many but it probably has more than enough for most people.

I'm keeping an eye out for a used one ATM.

18. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    Line 6 M13 - check out this video on youtube [ ] - The guy does a side-by-side comparison of his whole pedalboard. It's probably the most useful way of assessing whether it's right for you or not. I am totally sold on this unit. It works phenomenally and sets up with no fuss. The ability to save custom sets of pedals (scenes) means that you can have whatever set of pedals in front of you with only a couple of clicks. It is well made with a steel chassis and smooth switches. I keep it in a laptop computer bag with wheels and an extending handle for transport and storage. I also keep my tools/chords/expression pedal etc. in that bag. Additionally, if you also play Guitar, this has some of the best presets ever. And it's got a great looper. Theres one for sale on Ebay for 349 right now.

19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    for me, korg AX3000b does it for floaty ambient space sounds.

20. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    AxeFX Ultra