1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best multi effects pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 6, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What is the best multi affects pedal? I just dont have the cash to buy each pedal I want.

It needs lots of effects, and a wah pedal.

Any help? I play lots of MUSE, Tool, and reggae.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "The best" multi can cost as much as, or more than, a bunch of single pedals. What is the max amount you will actually be willing/able to spend?

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yeah, I felt like an idiot not posting a price. Total n00b action.

About $150. I want single pedals, but theyre too expensive right now.

4. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    Best? Like you mean best for $150 or best ever or what? Boss ME50B does a decent job, got one a week ago and I can summon any tone I had with the single pedals I have. Chorus, flanger, delay all easily right there and sound just as good to me as any of the Boss, Ibanez and Digitech pedals I had. You just need to toggle it to a different position between effects or use banks. Look it up.

Load of distortions, I found some I really like. Ok compressor, I actually use it (the dbx160 hard setting). Octaver is good too, I'm loving it :) The expression pedal is not my favorite ever (prefer something like the 105Q, spring back and so on) but as it serves many purposes (wah, hold, kick drum, whammy +1/-1) it needs to be that way.

If you're looking for the best of the best you might look for something like the Boss GT8B or something. But you said you're short on cash, so the Boss ME50B might suit ya better. People also say they like the Korg AX3000B but it has modeling too which I didn't want. Also it's menu based whereas the ME50B is 99% knobs like regular pedals are.

Edit: oh you said $150 while I was typing :)

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV

That looks great, but a tad expensive. $250 minimum.

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Find them used on the bay for around $100. Search around for reviews and you'll find that we love the tube preamp, analog compressor, ability to go stereo OR biamped out, and all the other usual stuff. I love mine.

James

7. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    POD X3 Live - run two rigs at once and go straight to the board with your sound

8. I think staying under $150 new is going to be tough. The Zoom B2.1U is probably your best bet. But it's more like $190.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So, the best multi effects pedal for $150. Whole 'nother deal there. You should look at used gear, for sure. I'm not a fan of the multi effects pedals, but if I had to have one, I'd be looking for something NOT "menu-based", something with actual knobs for control of the effects parameters.

10. +1 on the Digitech BP-8, IMO one of the best sleeper bargains out there.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The korg ax3000b costs 200 dollars at sweetwater. it has a large variety of effects, amp and cab models. definitely recommendable.

12. Another +1 for the bp8 it sounds great, although there is a bit of a learning curve to programing it

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Without a doubt (imho), this is the one you want.

Boss VF-1.

I have had one for over 5 years and it is a sonic beast!! No pedals, though..it's a rack mount but there's a floor controller you can get (the Roland FC-200). Check the reviews on Harmony Central or right here on TB.

Here's the link for Ebay, cause there one with 6 days to go, or a Buy it Now price of $151.99...oh wait, you said you limit was $150, right??? Can ya scrounge up another 2 bucks? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-VF-1-Multi-Effects-Unit-In-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ320356418299QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320356418299&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3

14. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Shameless, here, but I've got a Digitech BP-80 that I'd let you have for $100 including shipping. I have the adapter an everything. You can download the manual from Digitech, if you want more info.

15. i bought a used me50b for $200 but ive seen em for $169

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

Well, at least you're honest about being shameless, Johnny (LOL!!!) :rollno:

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I picked up a Digitech BNX3 for ~$100 on ebay a while back - it's great fun - does WAY more than I'll ever care about...

18. Snake1967

Snake1967

Sep 2, 2007
    Australia
    I'm not a big effects user but do have a Zoom B2.1u. Has a great range of reasonable effects to my thinking and certainly more than I will ever have need for, on board tuner and handy expression pedal for wah etc. I bought mine brand new through ebay and at a much cheaper price than a Me50 b at the time. Also Im in Australian dollars so the prices are gonna be different to USD. Worth looking into IMHO.

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'd jsut buy an fm4 if you like muse.......four separate really bad ace settings.