1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best multi effects pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 6, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Actually, the FM4 looks great. Only thing I really want pedals for is MUSE, Tool, hard rock kinda stuff. I might look into that.

Now, if I bought this, and wanted to add, say a mini Q-tron, could I just start a pedal train? Go through the FM4, through the Q, and then into my amp?

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    of course you could start one! i think that'd be a great start. just get a nice fuzz and you're already on your way to getting totally addicted! just watch out for GAS!

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Good. That makes everything easier. I think I have a plan.

Either go with the Line6 mentioned, or get a fuzz (Pi, most likely), an octave (Boss, most likely), and a mini Q.

All around the same price, new.

4. If you can't spring for the B2... look for a B1. I bought mine years ago and I have been happy with it. I don't use it as part of my stage rig anymore, but I still use it heavily at home. I like to experiment with it.

I also use it for guitar... I like the fuzzface setting.

I just saw a B1u get sold on the bay for $50.

5. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    i know its out of your price range... but there isn't much sense in buying effects you wont use later on. get a GC credit card and charge it!!!

i definitely recommend the Boss ME-50b. Ive had it for about 8 months. Every sound on it is usable, are they all as good as individual effects? No. But, as a first time effects user it let me find what sounds i really care about, and when i want some better sounding individual effects i still have the tuner and a handful of other effects i wont need all the time but will be nice as a sound i can pull out when i need it.

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    :rollno:

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Wow wolfman, that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

8. Whoawhoawhoatherechunk and uaudio: Don't you know that GC is handing out free money? Don't pay for a whole year! A year's like...a really long time, man, and you can just return it for a full refund then buy another one that you don't have to pay for for another full year! It's glorious, and I can't believe Guitar Center is so stupid!

/sarcastic man is sarcastic.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    WAY :rollno:

Just run up your personal debt on things you don't *have* to have and, in fact, might not really use?

That's why used gear is so great: You buy your pedal on Ebay - use it for a while -if you don't dig it, then sell it -- it's like you rented it for a bit.

10. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    im not sayin to go and spend a grand on new equipment or max out a credit card, but if you've got $150 cash in hand, and can spend $20-$25 a month its not a terrible deal. (you can save that $20-$25 if you opt not to go out for a dinner and a movie one weekend a month). certainly not the best idea for everyone, but my gc card has helped me.

used is always a good option too.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    First ethical think you have posted in this thread.

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Digitech BP-80 is cheap and cheerful. Got two of them.

40 user presets, 40 factory. About 1/2 of them sound like plastic molded dog poop, the other half are OK. Lots of tweakability to get things how you like.

Tuner, headphone amp + drum machine/metronome built in.

$100 new+shipped, $80 or less on eBay if you look on a good day.

13. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I was thinking I saw a B2.1u in the classifieds, I think someone had a Pod XT Live there too, right around your price range.

14. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Western NY State
    OK. I wanted the Boss GT10B, but couldn't justify the cost. I spent time checking reviews, sounds clips, prices, etc. and went with the Korg AX3000B to replace my "pedalboard of doom".

After about a week, I'm pretty happy with it except for the distortion sounds. I think I have to work on my tweaking on it. Amp settings are nice, though. All the other effects work well for me, but I'm not over the top. Phase, chorus, octave and flange are very nice and can go from subtle to extreme if you want to. Wah is nice as well, but you really need to set it up for your style and gear.

The ability to turn individual effects on or off in each preset is very usable. Sturdy metal housing. Adjustable setting on the footpedal tension. Bypass if you hold any channel button for 1/2 second.

I'm using it for the first time this weekend on an outdoor gig.
    Set is Fender Precision with a 5 string Jazz neck and Ampeg BA-300/115.

15. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hell, start a Ponzi scheme...become a coke mule...smuggle Mexicans in your wheel wells...

If you go to GC and charge hundreds of dollars worth of effects (for bass no less!) that you cant afford based on advice you got on the interwebs, I got a bridge you should check out. :D And I dont mean a BadAss.

With my little jokes aside, I got a Line 6 bass pod xt live used here on TB in mint condition. Covers all my effects needs (which are not alot)

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I bought a Digitech BNX3 on ebay a while back for $100. Like all multiFX pedals, it is a compromise - but it is GREAT fun - a ton of fx, little 8 track digital recorder, amp modeling - wah pedal... A bit of a learning curve to make it work for you, but it's pretty fun.

17. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    If cheap is important you may like a used Zoom 502. :bag:

18. blue209

blue209

Dec 16, 2006
    NoHo, CA
    Yeah the AX3000B is great except for the distortion which blows. I mean some of the effects aren't the greatest but for a multi they're pretty damn good. Especially the chorus which I like almost as much as my analogman. It's a shame you have to use seperate OD and Distortion to get good sounds, kind of defeats the purpose of a multi. All in all I've tried a lot and this one is by far my favorite.

19. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Korg AX3000B. Used one live for years, no problems. Cheap, full of effects, sounded great in the studio too.

THE DISTORTIONS ARE NOT AS BAD AS EVERYONE IS SUGGESTING. The Distortions are usable, have a good clean blend and a good tonal range. The Fuzz, for example, sounds MASSIVE.

20. I wanna give a +1 to the B2.1u. I've owned an ME-50b and have messed with both the B2.1u and AX3b, and now own a G2.1u (I have my reasons :)). IMO the Zoom sounds much better than the Boss on most of the available effects. There are more simultaneous usable effects and the distortions and filters are pretty responsive. There's no delay on patch changes with the Zoom. The Zoom also has a DI and USB interface and comes with Cubase LE which is much easier to use than Audacity if for latency reasons alone.

The only downside to the Zoom is the inability to see the patch layout while you're playing it. You don't know what effects are on or off until you hear the patch. It is possible to think your going into a FlipTop /Chorus sound and end up in a Fuzz Face / Ringmod sound if you're not familiar enough with your patch layout. The Boss shows you which modules are on so you can at least see why you're getting whatever sound you're getting.

The Korg (admittedly not the AX3000b) had a good array of sounds as well, but as some have said the dirts were iffy and not to my liking. A live audience wouldn't likely care, but I did.