Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Multi-effects pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Dec 28, 2000.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Please tell me which of these you think is the best bargain (cheap) multi-effects unit:

1. DOD Bass 30
    2. Zoom BFX708
    3. ToneWorks/Korg AX1B

or if you have any other sugestions feel free to speak...

2. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
  3. I like the DOD Bass 30 but its a bit noisy when its on.
    Chris

4. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I just got a Korg AX1B, and i love it. It'll take a while to understand it, but after a week it's pretty cool. It has every effect you'll ever and never need (as i said before). Plus it has a tuner, metronome, and samplers for bass (i haven't figured these out yet, ;( ) You can read some posts on cheapo multi effects proccessors.

5. Go with the ToneWorks/Korg thing. its the best of the three you listed. Also VictorLeMonteWooten's idea of the Bass POD is a lot better than those three.

6. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    i'd say it would depend on what you need (or want) it for. if you want good live sounds, i don't think any of those will do you any good. If you just want to mess around, go with either the DOD or the ZOOM (i'd go for the zoom myself). if you want to record, the best one IS the Line6 Bass Pod, but depending on your budget, the Toneworks one is REALLY good too.

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just would like to have some effects like: chorus, overdrive, octaver, wah, compression, fuzz. I would use them for home and for live playing. There are some other effects like flanger, envelope filter and others, that I really don't know what they do.

I haven't tried any effect units before, I just want to know which ones you guys think are good for when I go to try some of them.

Thanks for your reply...

8. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    Well, then I'd suggest going to http://www.harmony-central.com and looking under effects>browse by maufacturer>(whatever manufacturer you want to look at). They have reviews for I think all of those effect-pedals, but I'm not sure about the ZOOM. I know they have the ZOOM 506 and ZOOM 506 II but I don't know about the one you were talking about. Good luck and have fun shopping around.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Boss ME-8B. Pick one up used. Great sound, tons of usable features.

10. Dude the line 6 bass pod is a little more expensive than the ones you are looking at, but there is absolutely no comparison.....check out the little grey bean....

11. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    hey brad, are you brad johnson the football player?

12. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    there's a guy in Bakersfield, California selling a used Boss ME-8B for about $265..im pretty sure he's willing to pay shipping too...here's his email...

minorthreat@tweak3d.net

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's way too much for an ME-8B. That's more than I paid for mine new, a few years ago.

14. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah thats what I was thinking but he told me he'd probably come down and I should hope he would

15. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    I got it for christmas and its hard to understand and the wah sucks.... it also broke after 3 weeks!

16. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    The ME-8 B is an oldie but a goodie! 200 bucks should get you one at the used stuff sites. I wouldn't sell mine for that, though.....

17. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    multi effects suck , you can't expect to get so much for such a low price . I HAD a ME-8B , it sounded cool ,
    but at the end i could hear this irritating sound .
    Like hell it was !! so I trew it all in the garbage bin
    and started again with separate pedals => much , much , much better !! ok it is more expencive but why buy first a peace
    of junk ? and this korg thing : I've been testing it at
    the musik messe and I'm sorry to say , It sucks !!