1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best music scenes on the East coast.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Other than New York, what are the better scenes on the East coast?

I've hear d Charlotte is pretty good, Atlanta as well....

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'd not heard about Charlotte. Atlanta is a lot of new-school R&B and hip-hop.

Boston has a scene. So does Philadelphia. Don't know how good they are these days...

You thinking of heading east?

MM

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well, I'm from the East originally. So it's always home. ;)

I LOVE LA - can't say enough about it really. Just seeing what else is out and about as it were.

I had read somewhere on here where a fellow TB'er is making a great living at session work in Charlotte. I had heard some other things about it too. I would think, however, apparently, I'm wrong, that Charlotte/Raliegh area would have at least something going on. I mean, Ben Folds did alright.

Miami, I hear, has a little something. What of and how much... your guess is as good as mine. I'm thinking it to be more Latin/R&B/Hip Hop which isn't my scene.

I figured Boston, but wasn't too sure. Never heard abotu Phildelphia though.

I'm still very curious about the Carolinas, Virginia and Georgia. My guess on the later though is Atlanta is the spot.

What can you say or know about New York?

Thanks MM.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Tons of clubs in DC and Baltimore. If you can get into the 9:30 club it is a really cool place to play. Alot of "big name" artists say that the 9:30 club is their favorite place to play.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, there are actually lots of music scenes - if you count the many smaller metro areas too. Augusta Georgia, for example, spawned REM & The B-52s, among others. I've heard buzz for years about the scene in the southeast Virginia area - Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, etc. And I know there's a scene in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. Most of this is indie rock/pop, as best I can tell...

Yes, the Miami area is heavily Latin-oriented, i.e. salsa, merengue - you name it. I have a friend, a rock guitarist who moved from New York to Fort Lauderdale, who's like a fish out of water down there.

The New York scene is crowded & competitive - just like virtually everything else in the city. In the club scene, there are so many bands competing for the limited number of gigs, most bands get only one 45-minute set - then it's off the stage to make room for the next band. And virtually none of them even get paid - the supply/demand factor is in favor of the club owners, so a lot of bands just write it off as a showcase opportunity. To make any money at gigging, you've got to go to the suburbs. At least there you can book a club for an entire night - four sets. And make a decent rate.

In truth, a whole lot of the bands here are surprisingly terrible. But the ones that are really good are among the very best you can find anywhere.

But at least it's not as bad as it is in L.A., where the bands actually have to pay the club owners in order to get a gig... :rolleyes:

MM

6. PROVIDENCE. Providence has such a good scene it's a crime we don't have a lot of clubs.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    MM,

I've never had to pay or a gig out here. However, I have had to do some free shows and I know there are bands that do pay, but none of mine or at least none of the bands I've played with ever have.

See, I thought the whole Raliegh/Durham area had something.

I lived in FL for 6 years in Palm Beach Co. - terrible scene... no scene actually. I've heard Augusta isn't that bad.

Though, I am really keen on seeing what is the word in either the Northwest (Portland, Seattle, Bellingham) or the mid-East (So. VA, NC, SC). I'd like to know about Wilmington, NC and I have some family in the Newport News area, but I don't recall there ever being a lot of venues....

In my opinion, and that off a few people who are in the business at various levels, it helps to live in the major music markets, but it isn't neccesary, not anymore. With internet and what have you, all you really need to do is get a band, do an EP or record, get some merch and then call a booking agency and take off. Obviously, it isn't that easy, but that's the basic idea anyway.

I think the thing with LA, as with NY as you say, is oversaturation. I've met SO many musicians out here: there are a ton of weekend warriors - guys who just play for fun and don't want to do the 'carreer' thing. I'm actually somewhat suprised at the amount of untalented musicians out here. The other thing is that everyone (mostly the dudes who aren't that good or don't have a clue) want to do their thing; they don't wnat a band, or if they do they want their backing band or whatever. I suppose I'm mildly guiltly of the same thing :bag: . HAHA. And, of course, the gigs. The pay to play sucks, it's highly competitive (which doesn't really bother me at all), it's very diverse (which is great fun), adn you only have your set (maybe not even 45 :scowl: ) and if you don't bring nay crowd at all... you make no money and (more importantly) get no exposure and may never be asked back.

Music is a strange world. Guess I will be looking into that mid-East stuff a lot. Thanks MM and thanks everyone else for your pennies any others would be greatly appreciated and wanted.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I actually know the guy who opened that place, who moved to my hometown and opened a bar and I have no idea why....

9. The DC/Baltimore corridor is a pretty good scene. As far as clubs, depending on your music, you have:

9:30
    Blues Alley
    Sonar
    Fletchers
    Otto Bar
    Recher Theatre
    Ramshead Live
    Ramshead Onstage
    8x10
    House of Rock

Also, countless smaller clubs/bars/restaurants that book bands. Plenty of corporate gigs with the business and gov't concentration in Northern VA and DC.

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've only gigged in the upstate NY area and Boston. Boston has amazed me so far. I've never had so many gigging oppertunities (compared to NY). Cover bands do really well here and can make quite a bit of money.

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I've been playing in Miami for the last 10 years. Not a real scene here as far as original music. Most of the work is playing at Top 40/Wedding bands. Very few clubs that support the band scene, but at the same time, there are very few good bands here. There are a few festivals for local bands throught the year.

The only bonus you get in Miami is that many Latin artist prepare their tours here, and they often form their band with Miami musicians. Think Shakira, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, that kind of stuff.

I play in an original band and we do pretty good in Florida, playing clubs, festival, and even plenty of private parties, but we play "party" music, if you will, so we are easily likeable. We get people dancing wherever we play - clubs owners like that - we always get re-hired.

The musicians' scene is pretty small too. Sometimes it feels that all the bands in Miami are made up from the same 30 musicians!

And yes, playing and understanding Latin music is almost a must down here.

12. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Don't sleep on the Southeast Virginia area and the coast of the carolinas...

Charleston is getting bigger and bigger by the day. Lots of different people down there year round. People love music in that area...
    Wilmington is growing as well. Lots of places to play but I'm not sure about studios there. Lots of bands though, close to a year round scene with the college there.
    The seven-city area Norkfolk, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, etc, is getting bigger a quite a bit more diverse. Virginia Beach is Virginia's biggest city. If you're looking for a lot of work in the summertime, the coast is a great place. You'll stay as busy as you want between Norfolk and Charleston.
    The Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Chapel Hill area is pretty steady in the "off-season" when school is in. Same with Greenville, but not as big as the triangle area. Although its always fun to spend a night in Greenville!

+1 on Baltimore DC area...
    You can never go wrong in Philly...

13. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Montreal
    Toronto

They have some good music currently

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Completely agreed. I was thinking the same thing. I mean, with all the colleges in that area (both inland and the coast) and the 'seasonal' thing, I don't see how a band couldn't do well. So long as they aren't lazy.

I'm all about original music, I'm not real big into the cover thing.

Again, like I said, I love LA but I figure if I can do just as well or better in a less saturated, more familiar market, then why not? I'm all about me some East coast action.

Now, I have to go back to the drawing board. haha.

What part of the Outer Banks do you live in? I was born and raised in Swansboro and spent A LOT of time in Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach.

15. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    I reside a bit further north, i.e. Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil hills(i love that name!) Mainly Manteo though. Born in Elizabeth City. But I've been to Emerald Isle quite a bit. Love the beach down there, beautiful white sand and GREEN water! Hence the name...
    Oh, and you drop the line, "I've been living in LA...blah blah" people will be all over you...not a bunch of rednecks(though we do have a few)but its just the way it is. People love new stuff here. And quite honestly, the only cover bands I've ever seen/heard have been in the Virginia area where there are more sheeple. Originals are quite welcome in these parts...

cheers

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah...if karoke is your thing.

It wasn't always like that; FME, the '70s & '80s here were pretty decent. I noticed a big decline around 1990. It came to the point where a killer & immensely popular cover band like The Squares(Oteil Burbridge on bass, Billy Drummond on drums, etc) couldn't get a decent gig. A band like Secrets (Keith Horne, Tim Reynolds, Carter Beauford, et al) would play for the door(?) at places like The Jewish Mother.
    If you note, all those guys hauled ass from here...with the Wootens leading the way.

I would rate Richmond way above Hampton Roads(Norfolk, Va. Beach, Hampton, Newport News) in terms of being "hip" (as far as being "hip" can be in VA). ;)

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In New England, Boston is the #1 city for music, Providence #2. New Haven and Hartford are dead and there's nothing much happening in NH or Maine either.

I moved from CT to the Boston area in 1981 and couldn't be more pleased. I'm as busy as I want to be and there's work in all styles from punk to classical here.

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I'll have to e-mail my friend in Boston and talk to him. How is Boston in terms of living and what not: cost, meeting people, roommates....

I'm thinking that Raliegh would be a great central location for all the other places around. But Raliegh would have to have some decent to great gigs to play also. I talked to a friend of mine from there yesterday and he said it wasn't so hot, however, he has a fulltime job and is a father and I'm not entirely sure how much time he has to devote to all that.

Someone actually mentioned San Francisco (not East Coast but it came up). Though I did heard as amazing of a place San Francisco is, it isn't real hot for music right now. I had a guy tell me that Seattle is out. He said LA or Austin, he didn't seem to hip on the idea of the East Coast.

More thoughts and opinions? This is really great, I am learning quite a bit from this thread, I hope others are as well.

keith

19. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    one thing i have to say about charleston is that it is out of the way so a lot of music does not come through town. if you want to see bigger name acts one must travel a few hours to myrtle beach or atlanta or charlotte. the local scene had it's heyday in the mid-to-late 90's following hootiemania, but that has died down considerably. now people are into cover bands...you know the drill. oh, and rem and the b52s are from athens, not augusta...that was james brown territory.

20. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

So Charelston is all washed out? You think Myrtle Beach is a better place? I woudl imagine they would be into cover bands just as much, if not more so than Charelston.

It seems like the deeper south (anywhere below NC) except for Atlanta I guess, is on the outs. Ah well.

keith