1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Neck J for heavy rock...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by manchild, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Seymour Duncan STK-J1 Classic Stack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Seymour Duncan STK-J2 Hot Stack

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Dimarzio DP123 Model J

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. Dimarzio DP147 Ultra Jazz

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. EMG SJHZ

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Hey folks,

Been reading a lot of on here about Jazz pups, and got a lot of well needed info.

I have an Affinity Jazz and only use the neck pickup with the tone on max...

After reading the reviews I was wondering which of the above you would recommend for rock/heavy rock, and any that should be avoided for such use?

Many thanks ;)

2. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Old late 70's Dimarzio 123's are the best. I have a set of Duncan Antiquities that for some reason have a higher more clear output that work great. We do Classic Metal stuff -Whitesnake VHF junk like that.
    I bought some of the Ultra Jazz's and was not impressed. But that's just me.

3. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks TLG, would they work for modern rock as well or is their sound a bit dated for that? Or would it not matter?

4. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    A DiMarzio Model J, or Seymour Duncan SJB-3 quarter pounder.

5. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    The old Dimarzios work for any style bass playing I think. I've used them for R+R, Old School Metal, Country, Show Music, Jazz, Fusion, all that. They aren't so easy to find. The newer Dimarzios are pretty good too but the early ones just sound better to me. I like some of the Antiquity pickups also. I like a hot pickup but not Quarter Pounders because they are just loud and not much fidelity to me. Kind of like a Peavey Bandit amp. It's loud as heck but sounds like schmultz.

6. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Cool, that sounds good - is it possible to get only the neck pup or do they only come as a set?

7. OppressionDrive

OppressionDrive

Mar 16, 2010
    Denmark
    If you only use the neck pup, why not just get a p-bass?

8. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    I like the feel and look of the Jazz, and want a 'slightly' different tone to the P bass...

9. Don't necessarily go for pickups that are "modern voiced" unless you're sure that's the tone you want. I play modern music but I like a warmer tone. Modern voiced pickups are usually too bright for me.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    SD 1/4 pounder

11. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah, good point kingrazor, i do like a warmish tone ;)

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    voted for the EMG. The Dimarzio J would be my other or next pick of those.

13. I love the sound I get out of my Delano JMVC4 FE/M2s. If you'd like to take a listen, here's a link to download a recording I did for a buddy of mine...

14. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Cheers Joe -appreciate it ;)

Darkstorm - have you used the EMG's? Are they mid scooped like i expect or not so?

15. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    I read on another thread that the SD Hot Stack has a low output, due to its stacked design?

Is this true, and would it be an issue?

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Hey, these should be on this list! :D (Shameless plug)

I use them in a Stone Temple Pilots tribute band. :bassist:

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-J4.html

They would also be the only single coil size dual rail humbucker on the list!

17. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    SGD Jazzbuckers vs. Model J vs. STK-J2...any opinions?