Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best neo 15" driver for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I want a compact lightweight 1x15" (+ 6") for 4 string bass. Which drivers would you suggest? I know how to design from TS parameters and how to build etc. I just need to find a driver that wont dissapoint me. I´d rather have a loud than super low cab as Im aiming for a tight old school sound.
    Im thinking of going for the Beyma 115nd/w right now but does it need loads of power to drive PA type drivers? I only have 400W at 4 Ohms and 280W at 8 Ohms.
    How about the new neo drivers from B&C speakers?
    http://www.bcspeakers.com/index.php?sez=1&categoria=2

2. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Here is my vote - 8 ohm, 300 watt

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/neo/neo2515.htm

they are quite sensitive speakers, to help with the sound, and I think they sound great. and with 8 ohm you have the posibility to add another cab. (maybe a small neo 10" to add to your punch) just a thought.

I'm a big fan of light and compact cabs too, I just got my Dr. Bass rx210 from Marc Serio, and he was going to put the neo's in for an extra $100 over the standard Beta's, just couldn't afford that right now - wish I could have!

good luck,

Aaron

3. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    sorry about the second post, but I just looked at the specs on the link you gave - the Freq. resp. on that woofer is only really good to 500hz - I think you would have to put a huge load on that poor 6" to get an even sound.
    anyway, check out the link I sent - may not even need the 6" if you don't want to. I would go with at least an 8 if you use that speaker you linked to.

thought about a 12"/10" combo?

aaron

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    The Eminence neo 2515 needs a 12,66 cubic feet cab to work it´s best according to bgavins spread cheat . That´s just absurd. Why do they design such a driver?
    What would happen if it was put into a smaller cab?

And an 8" might be a good match to the Beyma. I haven´t come so far as deciding which mid driver as I have not decided on the 15" yet.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just tried the 2515 in WinISD. It seems it can only take a 50W signal between 70 and 100 Hz before breaking up.
    Seems strange to me. Am I doing something wrong? Every other driver I´ve simulated looked much better. The 2515 graph is not smoth at all. :crying: