Best neo 15" driver for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I want a compact lightweight 1x15" (+ 6") for 4 string bass. Which drivers would you suggest? I know how to design from TS parameters and how to build etc. I just need to find a driver that wont dissapoint me. I´d rather have a loud than super low cab as Im aiming for a tight old school sound.
    Im thinking of going for the Beyma 115nd/w right now but does it need loads of power to drive PA type drivers? I only have 400W at 4 Ohms and 280W at 8 Ohms.
    How about the new neo drivers from B&C speakers?
    http://www.bcspeakers.com/index.php?sez=1&categoria=2

2. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Here is my vote - 8 ohm, 300 watt

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/neo/neo2515.htm

they are quite sensitive speakers, to help with the sound, and I think they sound great. and with 8 ohm you have the posibility to add another cab. (maybe a small neo 10" to add to your punch) just a thought.

I'm a big fan of light and compact cabs too, I just got my Dr. Bass rx210 from Marc Serio, and he was going to put the neo's in for an extra $100 over the standard Beta's, just couldn't afford that right now - wish I could have!

good luck,

Aaron

3. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    sorry about the second post, but I just looked at the specs on the link you gave - the Freq. resp. on that woofer is only really good to 500hz - I think you would have to put a huge load on that poor 6" to get an even sound.
    anyway, check out the link I sent - may not even need the 6" if you don't want to. I would go with at least an 8 if you use that speaker you linked to.

thought about a 12"/10" combo?

aaron

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    The Eminence neo 2515 needs a 12,66 cubic feet cab to work it´s best according to bgavins spread cheat . That´s just absurd. Why do they design such a driver?
    What would happen if it was put into a smaller cab?

And an 8" might be a good match to the Beyma. I haven´t come so far as deciding which mid driver as I have not decided on the 15" yet.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just tried the 2515 in WinISD. It seems it can only take a 50W signal between 70 and 100 Hz before breaking up.
    Seems strange to me. Am I doing something wrong? Every other driver I´ve simulated looked much better. The 2515 graph is not smoth at all. :crying: