1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Neo-Soul/Funk Pickups........For under $100

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmaestro, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    I have a 06 MIA Fender Precision with stock pickups. I play through a Agular GS212 and have used multiple strings (LaBellas, TI's, Chromes and GHS'). The stock pickups are alright :meh: but I'm looking for a more defined and deeper bass bottom with a thick but sometimes bright or punchy tone that I like to call "juicy" (Raphael Saadiq, Brother B, Pino). Don't need pickups for anything other than soul on this bass. Someone please recommend me the best direct replacements for under $100.
    Thanks

2. Uh, you need a Ken Smith and an aggie 610! ;)

sorry I had to!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

For under $100? I don't think you're going to find anything to improve your sound for that. Is your bass active or passive?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually, you can DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan P-bass replacement pickups for under $100. DiMarzios are well under $100, and sound very good.

5. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Passive

6. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    It's funny you mentioned this. I was looking at these as the deciding two but I was unable to choose between the two. What models?

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Maybe adding a pre will help.

8. A pre will certainly thicken it up. I used the mid boosst , set at a low 500 hz, for a big Mo' sound, trbel rolled off. this off a Lakkie 55-01 , and it worked, so, aint nothing for a P bass.

Can't comment on Pbass ( my mexi P is plenty thick on its own), but the Aeros I put in the J go WAY low. Not low mids like the "vintage" pups, but seriously low. And they're thick as sin. Some say " too thick" on tape. Naw. Its like I put tens in teh practice amp with the new pups. BUT I cant say the AERO P pup is the same. I have the big sucka Alnico mags in mine. You might ask Aero.

http://www.aeroinstrument.com/pickups.html

This dude is way cool. I'm sure he can do it for around a buck. I think you want the Alnico P for a thick, almost distorted sound. Big output.

9. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Cool. I'll call there in about a hour. Also, can anyone tell me those model types for the Dimarzio and Duncans. Thanks.

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had good luck with Dimarzio P pickups too...can't remember model name sorry.

Another suggestion - Schaller PBX, especially if you can add a switch. Great pickups IMO.

Good luck,
    Marshall

11. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    I think that I'll try out the Seymour Duncan P-bass SPB-2.

12. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Well, I was at the checkout screen for the pickup and I backed out at the last minute.:(
    I'm really torn between the SPB-2 and the Dimarzio DP122 and 127s.

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    lindy fralin pickups are great, but they will cost you a bit more than 100 new.

14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You might wanna consider an outboard pre that you can also use on other basses as you acquire them.
    I play lotsa soul, rnb, hiphop, etc.-my main basses for these styles are either my US Glaub with flats or a Sadowsky vintage J with rounds.
    I favor my P(Glaub) with Labella flats(I too love Pino's sound on Jill Scott's stuff, etc.). The stock Fralins weren't working for me--too "barky"--so I had Duncan Custom Shop make me some pickups and it was just about 200 bucks, and it's like night and day.
    But---for your budget, my advice would be to leave your bass alone, and get either a Sadowsky Outboard Pre or an Xotic Tri-Logic bass pre. I still use my original Sadowsky pre(the one w/o the DI) on many of my basses, including my MIA P, when I need that extra tight booty and smooth texture. I think you can find a used one for around your price range. Running a stock P through a Sadowsky pre will get you closer to what you're talking about instantly.
    Ever hear Braylon Lacy playing his flatwound P with Eryka Badu? He uses a Sadowsky pre on it from what I understand. Killer tone(killer player too).

15. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    This sounds good. I'm not that familiar with outboard preamps. This is probably a crazy question but, do the outboard preamps plug into heads with an instrument cable? Will they also work for a combo amp like the ampeg 2000?

16. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Nevermind, found the answer. Thanks for all the help.:)