Best "New" Bass for Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moptoptony, May 23, 2003.

1. What is the best relatively new (within about five or so years) bass with a classic rock-style tone?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are you looking to buy a bass? If so, how much are you looking to spend?

Are you talking about a new design or a bass that was made in the last few years?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A Fender "P" Bass is a pretty safe bet for "Classic Rock" (or anything else IMO).

4. I haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet, but, from the way it's being hyped, I'd think this one will sound pretty retro: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=rkb&l=b

It just came out this year, I believe.

Also, an Epiphone Jack Casady will definitely give you a classic rock/Motown/Beach Boys vibe.

Mike

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Posted like a true Jackster, Mikey! Never let any opportunity pass to tout the Jackbass. ;) I totally agree with you, btw.

6. I'm looking for something upward to $500, and I want something that mainly sounds retro, but looking retro is cool, too. And that Ibanez is terrifically awesome, Michael. I hope the price lowers in the next few years, when I'll be in the market for a new bass. It's beautiful.

The Fender P is cool as hell, but pricy.

That Jack Cassady is also a nice find, too, but also pretty pricy. (There seems to be a pattern...:()

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    obligatory Reverend Rumblefish response from Watspan!!:D

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd get a nice Fender Jazz. You could get a pre-owned MIA model for about that price or a new MIM or for even less a pre-owned MIM.