Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "New" Bass for Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moptoptony, May 23, 2003.

1. What is the best relatively new (within about five or so years) bass with a classic rock-style tone?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are you looking to buy a bass? If so, how much are you looking to spend?

Are you talking about a new design or a bass that was made in the last few years?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A Fender "P" Bass is a pretty safe bet for "Classic Rock" (or anything else IMO).

4. I haven't had the pleasure of playing one yet, but, from the way it's being hyped, I'd think this one will sound pretty retro: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=rkb&l=b

It just came out this year, I believe.

Also, an Epiphone Jack Casady will definitely give you a classic rock/Motown/Beach Boys vibe.

Mike

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Posted like a true Jackster, Mikey! Never let any opportunity pass to tout the Jackbass. ;) I totally agree with you, btw.

6. I'm looking for something upward to $500, and I want something that mainly sounds retro, but looking retro is cool, too. And that Ibanez is terrifically awesome, Michael. I hope the price lowers in the next few years, when I'll be in the market for a new bass. It's beautiful.

The Fender P is cool as hell, but pricy.

That Jack Cassady is also a nice find, too, but also pretty pricy. (There seems to be a pattern...:()

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    obligatory Reverend Rumblefish response from Watspan!!:D

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd get a nice Fender Jazz. You could get a pre-owned MIA model for about that price or a new MIM or for even less a pre-owned MIM.