1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best new school funk, period!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JHL, May 2, 2006.

1. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Just thought I'd tip all you funk lovers off to a man called Andy P.

www.andyp.se <- click Music then the song Hey Baby from the One Day album and simply enjoy.

2. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i dunno... i listened to that song & the rest of his songs.

sounds like Pop music to me, not funk. The drums are pop drums (they sure as heck are not funk drums) & are a drum machine, the vocals are pop vocals, and I think that bass is actually a synth.

Now, I have nothing agaist synths etc (I've been an electronic music producer for a long time) but....I love funk, and to me...that aint it.

3. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Ok ok, I should have realised that if you say music is within a specific genre people will focus on that. How about this then: Some of the best music I personally have heard (Iin my very very very very humble opinion).

4. Nami

Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Israel
    It's nice... but something's missing there.. maybe i'll just have to listen to more of that =]

5. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i guess it all just shows that it's very much a matter of personal taste. i actually didn't really like it... to me it was uninspired & derivitive of pretty standard pop cliches

i'm not saying that i could do any better, but i was expecting a lot based on "best new school funk (or anything) period"

6. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi guys.
    This guy's music is nice but it's really sound more Pop with funk influences than real pure funk music.

BTW if we talk about Funk you got to check this Band Funknstein (They are from Israel but they sing in English)
    They just launched their first album and those guys know how to Funk.:cool:

Check it out!!!!

Adisu

7. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    damn straight - those guys are badass !

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i guess the problem is that there's probably pretty much no way to get their CD here in Canada :(

9. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    I'm learning sound engineering in college and one of my teachers Is the brother of the singer (and also the guy who recorded and mixed this CD).
    I'll ask him (thursday) when i meet him in Class if there's anyway to purchase the CD over the Net ,worldside.
    If not i'll recommend him to add this possibility on their site.

I'll let you know what he said.
    Adisu.

10. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    What I meant by "New school funk" is just that... not pure old funk. To me it sounds like he's coming from the old electro-funk or whatever you want to call it that Prince played early in his career.

And to say that this isn't funk is to me simply ignorant. So what if he's mixing it with pop influences? To me this is the funk of today... and I'm glad it's here coz there is already a Parliament and already a Bootsy and already an [insert funk legend]. I don't want to hear that same old stuff regurgitated.

Of course the statement in the title of this thread is just my opinion... and I only started this thread to share some music that I love, and that I feel isn't getting enough attention. If you don't dig it - cool. But getting into a discussion on wether to label it funk or not is sort of beside the point.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, coming from an old school funk guy, I would have to say that it is funky, IMO! I didn't listen to anything else but I thought it was okay! I mean it ain't the dripping with sweat kinda funk but it's funky!

12. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    >And to say that this isn't funk is to me simply ignorant

i don't think it's funk either. it's 100% pop. That cd would go in the "pop" category in the cd store, second into the "R&B" category.

13. Sounds like Prince..... but without the talent. The type of music you hear on Smooth FM radio or in lifts. Safe, boring and very predictable. True funk is edgy with big swinging b***s. Perhaps if the music was performed live rather than programmed it might sit better with me, but it's just too polished for my tastes.

If you want to try out some newer style funk I suggest you try Galactic, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Motherbug, Charlie Hunter, Stanton Moore and even Incognito. (Okay Hunter and Moore are slightly more jazz, but they funk like nobody else :)

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like these guys!

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This thread is now about Funknstein. :cool:

16. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Sorry,Didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:
    But those guys are Good :cool:

17. Right on.

18. Funknstein can groove.

19. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    did you hear back about that funknstein cd? i'm jonesin' !!!

20. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    what sort of bass is that that he's playing in that pic? looks like a jazz but the shape seems off... maybe i'm imagining things...