Best nickle plated string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Keepitcoolidge, Feb 5, 2006.

1. I have used GHS boomers, Dean Markleys, and D'addarios (all nickle plated).

Is there anything better?

They all tend to break easily....
  2. I've heard good things about DR Sunbeams, looking to try them out next.
  3. They "all tend to break easily"....???? HUH?

How does one break bass strings???...In 15 years of playing bass, I have only ever broken one string...a G-string on a Peavey B-ninety (was a Peavey brand hex-core string).

I really don't like GHS boomers very much, I do like D'Addario XL's...and that's my only experience with nickels (everything else I use is Nylon Tape).
  4. I really like my Sunbeams...they're the best sounding string I've heard so far, with really nice harmonics and warmth.. they feel really nice under my fingers, I beat the crap out of them, and I've had them on my bass for over 7 months with no noticeable loss in brilliance..nice

......the only problem I have with them is that I play a couple songs in dropped D, and I have to raise the action pretty high on that side of my Rickenbacker....keep in mind that it's only a 33.5' scale bass, so a 34' scale bass should have a bit more tension....

That being said, I just ordered a set of nickel Lo Riders, as they have a bit more tension....I hope they sound as good as the Sunbeams...I really didn't like the S.S. Lo-Riders...they were on my bass for one day, and I hated them...same with the S.S. Hi-Beams, which are just like Sunbeams without the nickel...

My fingers are crossed..
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My personal Favorite nickel string is Fender "Super Bass".
  6. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm using DR sunbeams at the moment. :) Great sounding nickel string.
  7. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    "Break Easily"? :eyebrow:

hmm, I'm only broken 1 in the past 8 years of playing, and it was used string on a new, un-notched Bad@ss bridge, playing very agressively...

but I love D'addario XL's...
  8. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Break easily?! :eyebrow:
    I've been playing for nearly 36 years now, and have broken exactly 2 strings.
    I like D'Addarios, GHS Boomers and DR Lo Riders.
  9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Either your playing super-lights or you crush bowling balls for a living! I been playing 10 yrs and never broke a string.
    Lets see good nickels? D'Addario XL's, GHS Boomers, Slinky's, Fender Pure Nickel roundwound 7150's. If you want a truely pure nickel sound go with the Fenders. They are not nickel plated like the others, the windings are pure nickel.
  11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I've been using Nickel Low Riders for quite awhile and they seem to have a lot of punch, maybe due to the high tension. They don't have much 'clack' against the frets like some strings.
    I did replace them with XL 165's but put the DR's back on because the XL's just didn't cut through as well. It's not a brightness thing with them; an open E just seems tighter with the Low Riders. I've played Rotosound, Boomers and I love the DR's. They also last a long, long time.
  12. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    Fender 7150 pure nickle for four string, 8251 or D'Addario XL's (again pure nickel) on my fives.

Another who has never broken a string but once in 25+ years of playing...... Damned if I didn't over tension a g string once as a youth, and wow was she pissed....
  13. +1 on the DR Sunbeams. I think they're the best.
  14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    GHS Boomers and D'addario are what is most available here and they both work for me. When I have some extra coin I like Ken Smith's medium lights.