Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best night of the week for gigging?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 27, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    What do you guys consider the best night for gigging? In terms of turnout, appreciation, pay etc.?

In my neck of the woods, Wash D.C./Northern Virginia, it seems that Fridays are the best gig nights. People seem stop by a venue for some drinks after a long day of work and are ready to party. Saturdays are a different story. Inertia sets in, and less people seem to come out than on a Friday night. The drummer pretty much tries to book only Friday gigs, since it make the band look better and appear to have a better draw. We avoid doing weeknight gigs, unless they are great gigs.

Any thoughts?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Definitely Fridays. People are wound up to release stress after the workweek.

My cover band has a good local draw, and some of the clubs we play prefer to book us on Saturdays instead of Fridays since Fridays tend to have a good crowd regardless of the band playing.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dead opposite for this area, for as long as I have been bar/club gigging (off and on for 12-13 years), Saturdays always smoke the Fridays.

In a lot of college towns, there will also be one weeknight where the students all go to one club. Hard to convince a club to pay you when they are packed that night every week anyway though.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Fridays are best around here, but honestly, I'd like to start seeing some more Thursday night gigs (earlier, of course). I think it'd be nice to remind people on a Thursday night that the weekend is fast approaching, and make sure they know that they shouldn't work too hard on Friday ;)

5. Friday for shure, in australia anyway. End of the week for the 9 to 5ers. They like to give the sauce a bit of a wollop. the woman aspect of the crowd are a little more "liberated", so to speak.