Best Non Fender J's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tastybasslines, May 24, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking for a J to add to my arsenal. I have a P and a Ray34 and while I love them both, I'm digging J tones and feeling that its the direction I want to go. Plus, shouldn't everyone have a P and J? :)

I'm looking in the 200-400 dollar range and curious as to the best J's not Fender that you guys like. I've tried the Squires VM's and wasn't in love with them. I like the Classic Vibes but don't like the gloss neck. I'm not sure I want to go with a used Deluxe. I've been looking at Schecter Diamond J and Peaveys which seem like they could be solid choices.

Any recs/advice? Good used options? I am going to be gigging with this and not just for the money reason but for theft reasons and a bass I'm willing to have that can take some abuse if needed. Maybe there are some good options out there that I'm not familiar with and would love some opinions. Gracias.

2. svt1233

svt1233

Jan 15, 2012
    The best J's that aren't Fender are the ones I roll myself. Other than that, Fender makes a pretty good J.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    GFS parts build with a mighty mite neck makes a pretty great bass for really cheap, if you know what you're doing!

If you don't wanna go that route, a used MIM can be had pretty cheap. Not sure what you have against fenders if you liked the Squier CV line....

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    In my post....the gloss neck...I'm looking for satin type finish.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    In that price range, your best bet is to shop for a good used MIM Fender, or buy a CV and knock the gloss off the neck... Now, if you can bump it up to around $500, and take your time shopping, you could score a Highway One that would be pretty nice...

Regarding "non-Fender Jazzes" - I just don't see them as being a better option than what I listed at those price points...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

No biggie - a couple of minutes with a scotchbrite pad, and consider it done...

- georgestrings

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My p is a highway one, which I love....I'd be willing to there for a clean one in natural.

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Once I finish it....its no different that a nice out of the box finish? Not sure I trust myself but if it really that easy I'd probably give it a try.

Still curious about any other brands I've overlooked.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen a Highway One in natural - I don't think there ever were any... Sorry, dude - if you want to be picky, ya gotta spend some $$$ - otherwise, you take what you can get in your price range... Let's put it this way: I want a submissive supermodel, but that ain't happening, either - hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Ive played many a MIM fender with satin necks.... But the highway one sounds like a good choice for you.

You try an affinity J? Sounds lame, but with a pup change, a setup and a tuner upgrade they're just as good as the CV/VM lines.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, it's real easy to turn a gloss neck into a really smooth satin neck - almost impossible to screw up, actually... If you shop around a bit, you can probably turn up a nice used CV for around $250 or less...

- georgestrings

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Not that I've ever seen - IMO, Affinity is about equal to SX, and definitely a step below the CV or VM basses...

- georgestrings

13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Meh, I guess I've just played a few really good ones then. My first bass was a great playing affinity P, my girlfriends awesome playing and sounding bass is an Affinity P and my buddies only bass is a super comfy Affinity J.

If you know how to set it up and do proper components upgrades they can easily be as good as the CV's. My affinity strat has a better looking alder body than most USA strats, and plays just as good. The electronics and trem are crap though.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ill check out the finishing thread for in structions and products...I think ill be pretty happy w the vibe and a smooth neck. I'm gonna try the diamond j at CC though anyway.

15. Keep an eye out for used ESP basses, my ESP J-Four kills MIA Fenders.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021