1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best NON-TAPERED B string??????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jamiebass, Jun 13, 2007.

1. What's the best strings, round or flat with a NON-Tapered B string?
    I recently got my first 5er, an Alembic Orion :), and I put on a set of Elixers. Awsome strings, real smooth and they seem to hold they're tone, but the taper (narrowing of the strings guage) causes the B to lay lower in the saddle and rattles like crazy.

Any suggestions?

2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Raise the saddle.

3. can't raise the saddle. Alembic bridges have set saddle heights that match the radius of the fretboard. The bridge itself, however, can be raised on either side, and that throws the other strings out of wack.

4. tape it?

5. Taping it would kill the tone/sustane.

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There are lots, but we'd need to know more about what you want out of your strings to help you.

Nickel or Steel
    Bright or Warm
    Slinky and Burpy or Stiff and Snappy

Ernie Balls, TI superalloys, D'addario XLs ... all good.

etc.

8. Sorry bout that. I'm still on the fence about flats or rounds, I love them both.
    I stick to nickel coated 90% of the time. Are Ernie Balls tapered?? They tend to end up on most of my basses. I find stainless without the nickel a bit grabby and laggy, and they die after a hard jam.

For flats, I hear Daddario Chromes are nice and bright, but what about the taper? Labella's? Tape-wound?? I hear great things about all these, but no info on whether they're tapered or not....

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I love the Ernie Ball 130 B string. In fact, after being a Blue Steel fan for years, I am really loving the Regular Slinky 5 string set. especially on my SR5.

10. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm a bit confused...Maybe I'm missing something, but you say the taper of the Elixirs cause the B-String to ride lower in the saddle. I guess I'm not following you. Lower in the Bridge saddle? I know Elixirs are tapered on the nut end of the strings, but not at the bridge end. And I play 35" scale 5-string Basses and have never had a problem with the taper falling on the fret side of the nut...so I don't understand what you mean...

Sorry if I'm missing something here...

11. The taper on the B at the bridge end falls on the saddle, causing the string to sit a little lower in the saddle, and it rattles. The strings are medium gauge as well, 128-45, and the saddle for the B is fit for 128-130. The saddles on Alembics can't be individualy raised or lowered.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The slinky B is non tapered, and is very good.

13. I agree.

+1.

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, I bet the most of the others responding aren't understanding what you're trying to get at since they're likely not that familiar with Alembics and the bridges they use. First off, I do think the inability to adjust the saddle pieces is a big design flaw on the Alembic bridges and unfortunately make a lot of 5 string sets (tapered ones specifically) unusable.

I'll also say that I HIGHLY recommend you try another 5 string set other than the Alembic branded string, as the B string in that set is awful, but the OTHER 4 strings (E-G) sound and feel great!!!

Suggestions for non tapered:
    Ernie Ball 130 "B"
    Fodera B
    D'Addario 130 B
    DR low beams, but not Hi-Beams...
    probably a few others I haven't tried, as I vastly prefer tapered B's.

15. Thanks ibz!

I recently got a set of DR Sunbeams, and I'm VERRY happy with them!! They're preasure wound/round wound. They feel great, sound killer, and they seem to be lasting!!

One problem with round wounds on fretless I've encountered in the past, apart from wear on the fretboard, in strings tend to die quicker from "sliding" on the strings. More skin and oils get grinded off you're fingers from doing so and have an impact on the string's lifespan.

The DR's seem to hold their life!!

16. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    I use the DR Hi Beam for my Alembics and they work and sound awesome!
    Good Luck.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sadowsky Regular Nickel 5 strings... One of the best Bs

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO the B-string on D'Addario's XL's set is really good.

19. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    hm..... does anybody use a 125 B with an 100 80 65 45 set ?
    cause i always hate the 130-135 b string cause of it "thickness"

20. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    ok, i bought the elixiers for my status
    45 65 80 100 125 and it sounds really good......

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021