Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best nut height for fast action on P bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drd07, Sep 22, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Hello all,
    You guys have always come up with some great advice on setups. I had a question for all you p bass users out there. What is the best height for the nut (on the bass that is)? I like my action pretty low, but I also drop tune to low as C# on my E string. Meaning, it can't be so low it will buzz. I've done some searching on the technique of filing the nut, but I was wondering on the exact specifications. I'm pretty familiar with setups (thanks to all of you TB'ers out there)
    Thanks!

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Um, I'm not sure how to answer this. I have a P-Bass, it has insanely low action, but do you want like actual dimentions of the slots? If so, bear in mind that different string gauges will affect the cut into the nut.

3. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I guess so (referring to the exact dimensions). I'm just a little nervous on filing the nut. I don't want to go too low. I'm good at setting up my bass, but I haven't done this before. I don't want to take it into a luthier because I'm very picky. Any suggestions?

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm assuming that you have your bridge set the way you want it?

If I knew how to measure the nut I'd offer help from my bass (which may or may not work for you).

Is it obscenely high right now? If so, get either a cheap file, a Dremel, or an actual string file for a nut. Take a little off the top, string it back up , and see how it looks.

Like my barber always says "Stu, I can take more off, but I can't put it back on" :)

5. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Yeah, I've done the entire set up (truss rod, bridge, pickup height, intonate), but it still is a little high. I'm going to have to file my nut. Thanks for the tips man. I really appreciate it. Hope all goes well!

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hit the hardware store, find a small file, and have fun. Nuts aint that much if you goof up. And if you do, chalk it up to expeirence ;)

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I filed down my nut yesterday. Now the action is peeeerrrrfffeeeccctt. It is so smooth. Super fast. I used a riffler file set to file the nut. Worked great. Thanks for the help stubi19!