1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best nut material(s)?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grobe, Oct 22, 2010.

1. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    Any consensus on which materials are the best?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    There is no "best", they all have their own respective upsides and drawbacks...... Now if you're talking about personal preference, then I would choose brass. Still it's very subjective......so IMO, IME, etc....etc....etc YMMV..

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    In my experience its brass hands down.

4. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    Alright... what would be the difference between TUSQ and White Corian for example?

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Other than material they consist of?

One thing that is true about a nut, open notes are the only ones that are affected, if you really could tell the difference.

you would notice brass vs composite materials before ever really telling the difference between corian and tusq......again, it's subjective.......what you hear, may or may not be what someone else heard....

6. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    ok, right on.. thanks.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    My faves bone. But std stock nuts are ussually fine with me. I think nuts make no change in tone except for the open note and then its very minor imo.

8. The only advantage I can see to a brass nut is it's durability, it won't crack, and will likely last forever.