1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best NYC/New England rehair?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by damonsmith, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Upton seems seems pretty insane at $110, but I do pass Mystic on the way to NY from Quincy. Kolstein seems reasonable at $60 and I stay out on Long Island when play NY.
    There is a bow shop in Boston I could check out. Gage doesn't list their rehair price. Who has experiences and prices?
    I like jet black hair and a bit of glue in the tip.

2. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    What shop are you thinking about in Boston? I know a lot of people don't seem to really love anyone in Boston, most of my teachers would take or ship there bows elsewhere unless they were in a pinch. I learned how to rehair and was actually getting a decent amount of work while I lived there, but I live in Nashville now and also never bought black hair.

Also just wondering why do you want glue in the tip?

3. I am rough on the bow and care more about the rehair than the bow. If they don't glue the tip the rehair pops every time.

4. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Also since my first post wasn't helpful to your question. In Boston I would try Dignan, Ruening and Sons, or Johnson Strings in Newton.

In NY I would say maybe someone out of Arnold's shop rehairs but I am not sure. Salchow and Sons in NYC would be a good bet if you don't end up going to Gage or Kolsteins.

And interesting that you have had that experience with tip plugs coming out. The way I was taught to reahair it would take quite a lot of force to pull a plug out of the tip with even the roughest of playing. When I rehair I test my tip plug by giving the hair a tug perpendicular to the flat side of the tip plate, if the plug pops out or the hair moves it isn't doing its job well and I will make another one. Also if it doesn't budge when doing this then there is no way it is going to move or pop out when it is parallel to the bow, and this is with out a single drop of glue.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. RRR

RRR Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    Several good options in NYC but I'll vote for Salchow as far as value and quick turn around.

6. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    I had Gage's shop rehair two bows, it was fine and I had no issues. As I recall it was about $100, or maybe a few dollars less. I've seen Bill Merchant rehairs in his shop and they look great. Price is about the same, or maybe a little less. I think it's odd that you've had that issue. It couldn't hurt to have Gage or Merchant look at that bow.

7. I do a lot of classical playing and teaching at home, but I play a lot of heavy free jazz gigs, what it goes through in course of one of those is what really ends up loosening hairs or popping the plug when it isn't glued. With the tip glued I get six months or more of heavy playing.

Is Kolstein's good? I love their rosin and they would be easy to get to.

8. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Jay Vandekopple in north Jersey is very good and affordable. He's not far over the GW

9. Merchant rehaired three bows for me last year after my last guy retired, about $80 a pop, and no problems. I play hard, with lots of tension on the hair.

Lipkins charges $125, but she's Sue Lipkins so why not?

10. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
  11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Can you describe this procedure? What is being "glued" "in the tip", and what kind of "glue" is being used?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Jed Kriegel, Luthier

I don't know the price for re-hair but Jed does great work and you should check him out.

13. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    Constantin in Westport, CT does really nice work too. I can't remember what he charged me offhand, but it was probably in this ballpark.

About Us

14. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN

I assume he wants someone to put a bit of glue, maybe super glue or wood glue, in the tip mortise when the plug is inserted. This is done on a lot of cheap bows that were never intended to be rehaired because the mortise is crudely cut and with glue there is no way the tip plug will come out unless its chiseled out. Also it is a an easy way to insure the tip plug doesn't pop out of it is not fit properly.

I can see why if often when the OP gets a rehair the tip plug pops out, he would want someone to put a little reinforcement in the tip, even if it is from reputable folks who maybe just arent used to his playing style. I think its possible to get it to not pop out without glue but maybe glue could be a more sure thing. especially if its a carbon fibre bow where the mortise can't be re-carved.

Don Kasper likes this.
  15. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings, Phil Jones Bass Amplification, Remic, 64 Audio
    Mike Weatherly does the bow work at Gage. I haven't had mine rehaired in a few years, but I remember it being $70 plus tax. Mike does really quality work on bows and basses.

damonsmith likes this.
  16. I think it is normally a drop of hide glue. I was really thinking it is a bit of a ____ you for Upton to charge $110. Sue Lipkins is another situation - a master bow maker who is really only dealing with high end bows I don't have an problem with. I just don't think a more full service shop like that that makes plywood basses shouldn't be charging top dollar for a basic service. Thanks everyone for all the great options!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Mgaisbacher likes this.
  17. Is Rutman's still around? Have you checked with anyone (faculty or students) at NEC?

18. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    There's Greg Wylie at Columbus Circle.

ifg likes this.
  19. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I would contact Eric Lane, a bow maker in Boston to see what he charges for a rehair.

Heifetzbass likes this.
  20. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Eric is awesome! I wish he was still in my neck of the woods! He's at Reuning in Boston.