1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best octave pedal for tracking the low notes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cuzzie, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Okay guys,

I have a micro POG which is fine, but obviously gives a very polyphonic type sound.

I've tried an EBS Octabass which does not track terribly well on the low register, it may just be this pedal, but I've lost confidence in it.

What is out there which tracks well in the sub octave range in your experience?

Cheers

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I am also looking forward to responses. I have a Pitch Fork, which is fine for my purposes and better than anything else I've tried. I suspect that your POG will be as good as it gets if you prioritize tracking....

3. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I should have also said I really want to get a fat sound as well with it

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Bass Whammy.

MattZilla and blindrabbit like this.
  5. Well, you've got the best tracking octaver around, since it is digital, although I never liked the tone of it when I had one. I much prefer the tone of analog octavers, although you've got to live with their imperfect tracking and/or adjust your playing style to one that works for them.

IME, the best tracking analog octaver I've used was the MXR BOD. The best sounding one was the Aguilar Octamizer. Having said that, I've got a COG Effects T-65 en route to me which I hear may take over the throne of best sounding and best tracking, so I may be back in this thread next week with a different answer. :)

dinoadventures and Cuzzie like this.
  6. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Do you need the "up" or the "down"?
    What do you mean "polyphonic type sound"?

Assuming the answers are down and "synthy" then +1 for the Octamizer, although it will have much worse tracking than the pog (although still mostly usable)

7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Thanks for that

My guitarist has an MXR so I will try that. I can fatten the sound a little by having the EBS on a gentle setting, but it's difficult to alter playing style when even if you just pluck a note and leave it the tracking rattles in and off!

8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @ProfFrink the POG is a bit artificial, thin and synth like, which is fine in certain situations and I like it for the octave up, but I want to use it to potentially fatten the sound, which the POG doesn't quite do

ProfFrink likes this.
  9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'm amazed by how low and how well my COG T16 tracks.

I've used an OC2 for a long time and a MXR for a while and the COG is better.

blindrabbit, Cuzzie and ProfFrink like this.
  10. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Just had a quick listen to the COG, sounds pretty cool, it's making the hotlist

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not going to beat the one you have, because it's digital. Follow it up with a nice fat OD.

12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @mmbongo thanks for your reply.
    I have a nice fat b7k which is currently at the start of the chain, I may have to fiddle with the order.
    Tinker time again...!

13. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The Mooer Tender Octaver is surprisingly good for the price/size. Lots of bass in the sub octave, too.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah that would definitely do it, and you need to make sure your octave pedal...any octave pedal..is as close to first in your chain as possible. It needs a clean, unaltered signal to work.

15. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I vote for the COG ones for sure. I've had a T16 and that tracked FANTASTICALLY but now I have a T65 that works even better.

16. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @mmbongo cheers bro, I had the octaver down the chain merely because I was using the SA manta bass and hot hand and was seeing if I could get a really muddy tone to it.
    The SA pedal needs a clean lead in with its engines.

Maybe I just get a 3rd octave pedal!

17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I bit on the big side, but the Line 6 M5 octave effect tracks beautifully down the lower end. Certainly better than any other digital octave effect I'd tried in other multi's

18. 000_Unknown

000_Unknown

Jan 18, 2014
    Id like to hear some of these if anybody's got a sample??

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    a comp in front might help also ... warming it up after will help with the pogs digital sound ...

whatever oct pedal we use , we need to learn how to ' play it ' .. ! they all have their quirks ... and sometimes they are going to a lower freq than your cab can produce .

Cuzzie likes this.
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I use a 3Leaf. It's my fave and I've owned many. And yes, needs to go before most everything else on your board

kittywithabanjo likes this.