BEST Octave Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jul 25, 2005.

1. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Original issue OC-2 (Not OC-3). Nice old-school less-than-perfect sound and vibe, and the lack of tracking ability in the lower registers is a beneficial speaker-protection mechanism.

Be careful with a lot of octave pedals, especially at higher volumes - the lower stuff is LETHAL on your speaker cones. The general rule of thumb is to only play the octave pedal game if you have 15s or greater. The OC-2 is the only pedal I'd even consider using with 10s, and even then I'd keep the volume down.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Electro Harmonix POG sounds very promising.
  3. heaps of folks swear by the EBS Octabass, but I can't say I was too impressed when I tried it.

I have an OC-2, and maybe it's just familiarity, but it's sweet. But, it also has moods. Some days it'll track and hold right down to a low A, other days it won't go past D.
  4. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I use the EBS. Does everything I need it too, sounds pretty good and tracks well, within reason.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    digitech bass synth wah. best tracking octaver out there imo, and a steal at $80ish new
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    didn't like the boss stuff. haven't tried ebs, but the digitech bass synth wah is worlds better than the boss pedals at producing and tracking the lower octave note, even does double stops well.
  7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm in the market for a good octave pedal too. I'm thinning out my board and looking to add some interesting effects. I'm gonna try one of these...the price is right, and David- you seem to have a great knowledge of effects. So, I'll taking your word for it. Any experience using it with a fulltone bass-drive?
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm going to get burned here but Behringer's built in octaver aka Ultrabass, tracks amazingly well. The only time it falters is when it's trying to track sustained high notes on the G string. Alot of mid priced octavers fail that part also.

I don't even use my Digitech BSW's octaver because of this.

Of course, the only way to get one is to buy a Behringer amp :)
  9. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Actually, the Behringer Ultrabass is available as a seperate rackmount unit as well, and is very nice.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For sound, get the OC-2.
  11. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i really like the ultrabass function on my behringer amp. it can add phatness or make a really creepy sound. i assume that the standalone rackmount version would be even better.
  12. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Boss OC-2 gets my vote as well. Prince uses it so it must be cool!
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Setting the BSW to it's last setting, and cranking down the second knob (I don't have it with me right now, too lazy to look) and the rest all the way gives SICK octave down. Sometimes it seems like more than an octave, especially when I'm doing stuff on the G and C strings.
  14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I never used the two of them together, sorry
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The Digitech and the POG or Rastop pedals might track better but the old Mutron is the best I've ever heard.
  16. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    OC-2 rocks, especially following a Fulltone Bass Drive in Comp-Cut, non-boost mode... tracks much better!
  17. OC-2 tracks supremely on midrange-heavy basses like Ricks and Jazz's, useless on things like a Precision. Kind of a synthy drone tone though.

Was using one for ages until I tried an EHX Octave Multiplexer (the cheap reissue). Now that's cool, tracks as well as the OC-2 (YMMV of course), and sounds more like the original note an octave down - less "synthiness". Plus, the Sub switch is interesting - with it ON it works as you would expect. OFF gives less of an octave effect but with this slight buzzing distortion in the background - neato (it's not a problem with the pedal, i've tried several on both guitar and bass and they do the same deal).

When my money tree bears fruit I want one of the POGs though, I love the thought of octave UP! :D
  18. an octave pedal has been on my list of things to get for awhile. So far it seems the oc-2 is winning the game of life but i've heard sound samples of the mxr bass octave, now im not too farmiliar with mxr and its quality but if someone can compare it to the oc-2 than i might just have my discission set.
  19. Give the EHX a go too, it's cheap and really good. Kinda surprised me 'cause until then the OC2 was the best i'd tried. Wasn't impressed by the EBS at all (tracking was lousy), haven't tried the MXR though.
    Like people have said though, forget about the OC3.