Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Octave Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGuy, Oct 12, 2000.

1. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    Hey guys! I am thinking about getting an octave pedal. I particularly like them for adding lows to the high notes on the D and G strings. So, which is the best one?

What about using them on fretless? Anyone got any experience with that? How do they sound with the "mwah" of a fretless?

I have had best experience with Boss pedals in general, but have seen some negative comments about the Boss Octaver. Any comments?

Thanks ahead of time,

BassGuy

2. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Hello,

I tried the Boss pedal the other day in my usic store and it seemed OK - the tracking was a bit crappy on the E string but it was cool apart from that it was good.

Dod make descent pedals for the money so it may be an idea to check out some of their stuff http://www.dod.com

Hope this helps
    Niggy®

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    EBS Octabass. Great thing. A bit pricey, perhaps.

4. The EBS pedal is the best. After you try one you'll forget about the price!

5. I would like to recommend the EBS Octabass too, and their envelpoefilter BassiQ.. juicy juicy.

6. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Is their an octave pedal that produces a note an octave higher and a note an octave lower?

7. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    After doing some fairly exhaustive research I agree that the EBS is the best octaver out there. (I've also heard some good things about the octaver on the SWR Mo' Bass.)

-geo?

8. Yeah, its called a "harminizor" i think it sounds pretty cool. It sounds really really coold with "Stand by Me". I've never seen one in a stomp box, but there is one on the Zoom Bfx 708.

9. Defsss the EBS octabass.
    -alex

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'm sure that the thread starter has waited the best part of a decade for this advice before buying an octave pedal.

11. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    you guys must have a reason for liking the EBS, and I have not tried one, but I hear a lot of negative comments about the Boss, so thought i'd add that after using the boss for 25 years I can say that any tracking issues can nearly always be attributed to technique. Not all bass set ups track quite the same either so you may have to alter your touch a bit, but once you do, it's fine. Oh, yes, and an octaver works as beautifully with fretless.

12. HAHA Can I recommend the MicroPog, then? :D

13. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    You mean they make an octave pedal for bass?!?! :eek:

Sorry, just kidding. Add this thread to the 100+ other octave pedal ones!

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, I think you can recommend a lot of octavers that didn't exist eight years ago:

MicroPog
    Octron
    Pollyanna
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    Boss OC-3
    4ms Nocto Loco
    Guyatone MO-3

maybe we can bump this thread again next year and add the Markbass Octaver and Plaster Caster. Well, maybe two years on the Malekko. . . ;)

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    In my limited experience; it seems that the EBS octaver has fallen in and out of favor with some users as their taste changes. I wonder if back in 2000 the OP was stoked on the EBS...but has since switched to an OC-2...or uses both???

I've seen it happen before....:ninja::D

EDIT: Sorry for the zombie kibble.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I still like the EBS a lot even though I've currently got an OC-2 on my board. The Boss can be a bit too harsh at times when blended, but really excels at 100% 1Oct sounds. The EBS is no slouch in that category either. I want to try an MXR to see/hear for myself how it sounds with the octave downs isolated.

17. I don't think the search feature had been invented in 2000.

18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    This thread is like an episode of Lost!

19. xLowEndx

xLowEndx

Feb 3, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    the zoom 607 has that feature as well FYI