Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best OD/Distortion $100 or less?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dalley, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I can't believe how frustrated I am trying to find a decent OD for bass that is in my price range. :crying: I want a SansAmp BDDI or a Fulltone in the future ... I am sold on either of these but can't afford the cost right now. I am fully aware of "you get what you pay for..." Thats not the problem though....

I only would need an OD for a couple of tunes ... classic warm OD to maybe more of a biting distortion. Tried the DOD 250, DS-1, and I don't care for the Boss ODB or Digitech Bass Driver Overdrives. Ideally, something with the simplicity of the DOD250 but retain better low end. (and maybe a true bypass? seems like everything true bypass is more expensive)

I know we have been through this a million times but can anyone reccomend something $100 or lower that can give me what I am looking for? HAO Rust Ride? Big Muff? Tech21 XXL maybe?

oh and by the way ... am I the only one who can't understand why there isn't a rackmount bass multieffects unit that has a decent distortion and a some sort of envelope filter built in (without a preamp/amp modeling)? I got all worked up when the Rocktron Xpression came out and then realized it didnt have some sort of distortion or an envelope filter/synth effect.....

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The XXL is in your price range, but not your sonic range. The XXL starts at biting distortion.

Have you tried the Ibanez Phat Hed PD-7? In your price range, it's probably the best value for money.

3. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    havent tried the Ibanez yet ... just assumed it was a Digitech/Boss clone. Can head over to GC to check it out.

Sparkle Drive? Havent heard clips of this yet ... what are your opinions of it? Retains lows? True Bypass? Do you know if GC carries it?

Thanks again guys!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Check out a Bad Monkey. They go for about $40 and sound pretty sweet.

5. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I will have to try the Bad Monkey my fellow Arizonan ... seems the reviews are positive and I like the fact it has a bass tone control to compensate. I'm going to swing by GC Tempe after work this morning and see if I could give it a try.......

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's a great pedal, but over $120 new.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Ibanez is about half the price of the Digitech, and had more usable sounds IMO.

If you do a search you'll find plenty of discussions on the sparkle drive. It's a tubescreamer clone, so has a mid range emphasis to it, but there's blend functionality to mix in wet/dry signals

I'll give credit to you for realizing you generally get what you pay for

8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    The Sparkle Drive can be found at less than 100$. It's a great OD. But not really versatile.

I heard only good about the Phat Head.

9. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Oh yeah ... I've been playing long enough to realize that! I can't seem to justify spending $200 for a stomper that I will only use for a couple of tunes.......I would rather put that cash towards another MusicMan or upgrade my rig down the road..........

I'm going to try to A/B the Bad Monkey and the Phat Head today........

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you want a new one for under $100, I suggest Big Muff Pi as it is pretty much what all other pedals are compared to. If you go used, you have a wide variety of choices, including the Sansamp BBDI if you are patient.I got my MXR NEW for $85.00

11. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Funny you should mention the Muff ... I found a guy selling a mint condition Green Russian Muff for $50 on Craig's List here in Phoenix. By the time I called him, it was sold. No suprise there.

I guess the Muff is an option as well, I just have this fear that it would fall into my "DOD 250" category (low end sucker) .....

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A Big Muff is better at all out fuzz than "warm overdrive".

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, but used, not new

14. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Two words: Marshall Guvnor

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Yes, of course, used. I buy almost all my stuff used, so I forgot to mention, sorry.

The Muff isn't an OD at all... :)

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1 for the Ibanez Phat Hed PD-7. It's the only bass OD I have ever liked, and I've tried a lot of them, and a ton of guitar pedals, too.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My local GC shills Sparkle drives for $99.00. It's over $100 after taxes of course.

I wanted to get one (it does sound nice) but two of four they had in the store were OOC OOTB. The LED would come one but there was no sound.

I went to HC to look it up and it seems that Voodoo Lab has an ongoing switch longevity issue.

18. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    what about Nobels ODR-B

19. I second that. It's getting a bit tough to find the original for less than 100 dollars(catalouge says they're worth 120 now) but the second version will do exactly what you want. It's also one of the most versatile OD pedals I've tried. Between the high variable in gain(from very, very low OD to high gain OD that sounds like distortion), 3 band EQ and the depth knob there's a million different sounds available.
    I'm very happy with mine, if you can't tell.