1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best OD pedal to approximate Jack Casady's warm drive...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bluebard, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Way Huge Pork Loin

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Southampton Fifth Gear

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. Bearfoot Blueberry (newly added, so may be way behind the others with votes)

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hey bass friends,

So I already know that it'll be impossible to replicate Jack's tone exactly without having his fingers, technique, and rig (particularly the Alembic-modded Starfire and Versatone amp)...but since investing in a Versatone or any new amp is not an option for me, I'd like to come as close to the warm, slightly overdriven aspect of his tone as I can using a pedal. Think that warm responsive grit and sustain over a big clean low end on songs like "Water Song" and "Sea Child". I already know about getting an attack similar to his with my fingers, but I'm looking for something that will add just a bit of dirt and sustain with this attack the way Jack's rig responds to his attack.

Right now I'm working with a solid-body instrument, but I'm thinking of springing for a semi-hollow Jack Casady Signature or Guild Starfire when I have the money! My amp is a Mesa Boogie Walkabout.

These are the pedals I've been looking at:
    • Darkglass Vintage Microtubes (I like that this one is designed for bass and has a blend knob, though it's a bit pricey)
    • Way Huge Pork Loin (I like blend knob)
    • Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive (this seems to be a lesser known one, designed for bass, and allows you to select the specific mid-range that will be overdriven and blend that with your clean signal)
    • Southampton Fifth Gear (this one sounds really good in a demo I watched, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a blend knob, and the fact that it's not designed for bass)
    Although watching demos of these four gave me the feeling that I might be able to approximate the sound I'm after with any of them, I didn't hear the specific sound I wanted with the settings used in any of the demos...so I'm going to you guys for advice!

Does anyone have any experience with these? For pedals like the Fifth Gear or Pork Loin, not designed for bass, do you find that you lose any low end - especially for the Fifth Gear since it lacks a blend option?

I'll add a poll for these four pedals, but feel free to recommend other options if you know of them!

As always, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    None of the above… I’d go with a Damnation MBD-1 or a Dunwich ODB, paired with a Damnation Blooper.

3. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Don't let the lack of a blend known from the Southampton steer you away. It's a great pedal for low gain drive. Its recommended frequently here, and priced very fairly

Bluebard likes this.
  4. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thanks Frodolicious! I did like the sound of the Southampton in the demo I watched, but do you find that it loses low end at all? I'd be leaving this overdrive on pretty consistently in a band setting, so it'd have to maintain the bass.

I dig the Tolkien quote in your profile btw - always good to meet a fellow denizen of Middle Earth! ;)

Frodolicious likes this.
  5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Solidgoldfx Beta is pretty warm, and reasonable priced.

6. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    That is a great question, the demos I've watched didn't have much if at all. I haven't played one, but was going with one of the ones you had an inkling for. Also agreed with the Beta, it's a lovely overdrive, as is the Bearfoot Fx Blueberry OD (both of which I have for sale right now, lol)

Bluebard likes this.
  7. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I always hate to give suggestions other than what the OP was asking for, but I concur with the previous post about the ODB. This question has been asked before several times, and the ODB is always mentioned. There's one on Reverb now that it really well priced and I'm shocked it hasn't sold. The only thing I can think of is mostly everybody who wanted to try an ODB has already so they are dropping value on the used market. It's not like the masses know about Dunwich pedals.

Korladis, Matt Dean and Bluebard like this.
  8. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
    I'll look into all the pedals you've mentioned outside the ones I listed!

9. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    FWIW I saw Casady play a few years ago and he wasn't using any pedals. Ampeg SVT into a single Aguilar cabinet (I think it was a 4-10 but don't recall). When he soloed, one of the techs reached over and turned the volume up a notch on the SVT (human OD pedal).

And he was playing an Epiphone sig bass.

10. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Pigtronix philosopher bass compressor for that. It has a grit switch and with it engaged you can get exactly what you’re talking about!

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Just for the record, the Southampton Fifth Gear works great with bass. That’s all I use mine with.

Bluebard and AngelCrusher like this.
  12. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I have 2 versions of them and they both lose a little low end. That being said, it is not even close enough to where it would be an issue in a band setting, I only notice it on studio headphones and I still record through it all the time.

You could add a little back on your amp if needed. I have used it as an always on sometimes. It is an incredible pedal and it can take a more polite tone and give it some extra grit without sounding over the top and obvious.

Bluebard likes this.
  13. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Wow, Fifth Gear in the lead and Microtubes in dead last with no votes at all! The opposite of what I expected, based on how much love Darkglass stuff gets here on TB...

That's cool though! The Fifth Gear sounded pretty cool in the demos I heard!

14. I use both a Casady and a fifth gear and it does a pretty great vintage tone.

Ductapeman, Buzz E and Bluebard like this.
  15. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Im in a Jefferson Airplane tribute, Reverend Jefferson, the best I could do without over thinking it, was a VT Bass as an always on, clean warm sound, and I had the Microtubes Vintage for a while, and recently sold that, and am very happy with the overdrive channel sound I get out of my Magellan 800, set at 1-2 o clock. Able to engage it with a footswitch as well. Been using the Jack Sig epiphone as well.

16. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    When ever i want to get a tone like this i always want to try a Hudson Broadcast.. the slightly saturated tone.

One day i will own one.

Bluebard likes this.
  17. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    BTW i voted Pork Loin- coz thats what i have and i do really like it.. but GAS is GAS so the Hudson Broadcast is still a want haha

Bluebard likes this.
  18. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Voted Pork Loin.

Literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the title before clicking on the thread.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Bluebard likes this.
  19. I have a Versatone, so I have an inti

20. Line6 Floor Pod - now unfortunately out of production. (It also gets a zillion other tones - some quite good for live performance, others completely useless.)