Best of Both Worlds... PJ p'ups!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm planning a project from Warmoth for the near future. I want a really wide-range of available tones. I have a few questions though...

Right now, I've got Bartolini precision/jazz pickups in mind along with an active/passive Bartolini 3-band pre/EQ. (4.6ap) My question is this...

"Is there a pickup/preamp combination that I'm overlooking that would give off a better 'heavy rock' sound than the Barts???"

I automatically went straight thinking Bartolini because of the sound they produce is so awesome, and I've never heard any negatives.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
    Anxiously Awaiting Answers!
    ~Ryan.

(PS. If the woods I plan on using make any difference, I am planning on a Walnut core with a flamed maple top(cap.) The neck I'm planning on, is based on the Warwick-esque tone I love and is wenge on wenge neck with 21 stainless steel frets and a graphite nut cut for a four string EADG.)

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have Bartolini pickups in several basses, they IMO always sound great, with any preamp or passive. My Ristola 5 string has Bart P-J and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, and it is awesome for heavy rock. It's capable of more/different tones, but I use it in a heavy rock context and it is a great combination. I have also heard Bart pickups with a Demeter preamp, that sounded great too but totally different. Brighter, crisper, but I think not having the same huge sound to the low notes. I would use those pickups with any preamp, but I'd advise getting an active/passive switch also. The passive tone is great, the switch allows you to get 2 distinct tones at the flick of a switch, and most importantly allows you to keep playing after your battery dies.