Best of Both Worlds... PJ p'ups!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm planning a project from Warmoth for the near future. I want a really wide-range of available tones. I have a few questions though...

Right now, I've got Bartolini precision/jazz pickups in mind along with an active/passive Bartolini 3-band pre/EQ. (4.6ap) My question is this...

"Is there a pickup/preamp combination that I'm overlooking that would give off a better 'heavy rock' sound than the Barts???"

I automatically went straight thinking Bartolini because of the sound they produce is so awesome, and I've never heard any negatives.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
    Anxiously Awaiting Answers!

(PS. If the woods I plan on using make any difference, I am planning on a Walnut core with a flamed maple top(cap.) The neck I'm planning on, is based on the Warwick-esque tone I love and is wenge on wenge neck with 21 stainless steel frets and a graphite nut cut for a four string EADG.)
  2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have Bartolini pickups in several basses, they IMO always sound great, with any preamp or passive. My Ristola 5 string has Bart P-J and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, and it is awesome for heavy rock. It's capable of more/different tones, but I use it in a heavy rock context and it is a great combination. I have also heard Bart pickups with a Demeter preamp, that sounded great too but totally different. Brighter, crisper, but I think not having the same huge sound to the low notes. I would use those pickups with any preamp, but I'd advise getting an active/passive switch also. The passive tone is great, the switch allows you to get 2 distinct tones at the flick of a switch, and most importantly allows you to keep playing after your battery dies.