Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best of Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The title says it all. I checked out allmusic.com, but they have something like 85 official recordings so I don't know where to start.

More specifically I'm looking for the psychedelic stuff, long jams etc.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Live Dead - this album is live from I think 69. Great stuff. Phil kills. This sounds like what you want so start there. I could make endless suggestions, but I'll stick to the best answer to your request.

Also, check out archive.org They have tons of free Dead for downloading. The Dead played a long time and went through stylistic phases, so the year/era you pull from can sound very different. Their direction, their specific drug use, and other factors make their sound vary quite a bit.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Also...

Most of their live shows had "psychedelic stuff, long jams, etc." Their studio work never captured this. Some studio recordings were great, some weren't, but very little represented what they did live.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So far I have

Live/Dead (1969)
    Dick's Picks (1996, recorded 1970)

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sounds like you're after the older stuff. I'd say get anything pre 1980 - back when Jerry could still play AND sing. '77 & '78 were my favorite years, Phil would even sneak in some fretless back then.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Get the closing of winterland DVD.

7. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    Check out
    http://deadshow.org/Dan/

Just drag and drop any concert link into the playlist window of your Winamp player and listen to the stream......no downloading needed. You gotta have broadband though....of course.

http://www.deadshow.com/
    This site used to have a bunch of shows too but is temporarily down and out.

I saw the Dead more than a hundred times. These experiences and memories are a true blessing in my life. The Dead were a sloppy mess sometimes, but when they were "on", they were a "band beyond description".

IMHO I think the years 1972-74 were the best days of the Grateful Dead......check out some shows from that era.

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I would go with:
    Aoxomoxoa
    Anthem of the Sun
    Live/Dead
    Workingman's Dead

9. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Duuuuuuuuuuuude. you must go to this site

http://www.archive.org

here you will find thousands of hours of dead soundboards free for the downloading. if u want the good experimental dead, choose 1968 thru 1972, cant go wrong

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Nice call - I can't even count all the times I've lost my mind listening to Aoxomoxoa. Mars Hotel is also -the bomb-

some jerry Freaks in certain circles won't even listen to anything past '75 - talk about experiMental...(these same people claim that Steely Dan -sold out- after Pretzel Logic; and I agree with that, Aja Shmaja - that's another story, but nothing against Chuck Rainey...)

I've actually read some kids post somewhere on this doomed internet that was like - what is Drums>Space and why do they play it every night?

haha

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    wow, 10 pages of Live Greatful Dead recordings. Awesome, thanks guys!

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Live...Europe 72
    Studio......American Beauty and Workingmans Dead.

Just my two pennies of course :cool:

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like what I'm hearing btw :cool:

Is there a certain download limit on archive.com?

14. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    No download limit on archive.org as far as i know. Remember, when dealing with the Dead and its music, youre dealing with the first major band that went out of its way to accomodate tapers and free flowing bootlegs. It was never cool to ask for money for live Dead recordings unless your name was Dick Lavalla of Dick's Picks infamy, by which time the party was largely over anyway).
    Other than current new bands desperate for any airplay, i doubt there are many established acts that get away with free taping and trading....