Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best of Quincy Jones????

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Hey all,

I haven't checked or written in this site for days! But, I got my dad a best of....CD of one Mr. Quincy Jones. I was hoping that I would find a CD(or several) that compiled all of his greatest funk and sould work of the 70s. Sadly, most of his greatest hits packages only pay scant attention to his ubiquitous decade. I was hoping that Q and co. would have wisened up and restored to disk his great albums like, "Mellow Madness", and, "I Heard That", among several others. I think he and others are doing a disservice to a whole generation of interested(and prospective) musicians(not just bass players) by not releasing these fine recordings of his groove-laden years. It seems the only time I hear them these days is in part of a sample of a hip hop song. Is this the way he wanted his music conveyed for the future?

By the way, doesn't Eminem's, "Slim Shady" song, sound like it has Q's, "I Heard That" rhythm track underlying the verses?

:bag:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have been waiting for I Heard That! to appear on CD since the dawn of CDs.
    And now that I have the ability to dupe an LP to disc...I can't find my damn copy of it!
    I need to hear "Midnight Soul Patrol" again!

Mellow Madness was my 1st Q album; there's a beautiful cover of "My Cherie Amour" on that record. Nice rhythm guitaring by Dennis Budimir, IIRC.

3. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Hey JimK

"My Cherie Amour" was done splendidly. How about, "Bluesette", featuring Toots Theilmans? I love that song. My faves from that album, however, are "Is It Love...", "Paranoid"(God! What a groove!), and, "Listen".

It's good to know that I'm not the only one "Jones"in for some restored classic Q on CD!

Peace