Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best of the Lightweight 2x12s!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, May 28, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Epifani UL 212
    Gallien Neo 212
    Genz Benz Neo 212
    Mesa Boogie 212 with Neos (Not so light though)
    Schroeder 212 maybe?
    Others???

I'm looking for awesome lows or a great stand alone cab ]
    Can't find ANY of these cabs in Metro Boston!

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I would say Schroeder ;)

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Whappo Jr. I can lift it with one arm.

4. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Dr Bass 2x12 - 54 lbs. Travels nicely in a Saturn and not a pain to move.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I can't speak to the others, but I too like the Schroeder...under 50 pounds, and really small. Rates at 1000w. It has a nice low mid bump and good stage presence.

6. I'd vote for the GK myself.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

nothing touches an Epifani UL212. more than enough punch that i can never find in most 12" loaded cabs. airy sparkle, depth, fatness, and yes, authoritative punch.

with that said, a few gents who know the Epi sound equally love the Whappo Jr., too, which has gotten my interests definitely piqued.

8. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just got a GK212. Pretty light and not too big of a cab. Its way loud and just perfect as a stand alone cab.

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Dr. Bass Eh? Couldn't get hooked up with the site...
    How about the Avatar 212 & Hartke 2200. I"m starting to think that Hartke & GK are fairly obvious about mis stating their frequency responses. One Neo 112 rate at 36k?? Don't think so...
    Add EBS 212 to that list as well... hmm

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Yeah I'm not sure about GKs specs either, although I have the Neo112 and was surprised how well it stood on its own. (I got better sound when I swapped the neo speaker out with a Delta 12LF though, and with hardly a noticable difference in weight.

try http://www.drbasscabs.com

11. :cool: I can't speak for any of them other than the Genz-Benz 2x12. I have one and it's one of the best sounding cabs I've ever owned. It's clear and deep, but if you want to go trebly (ugh!), it'll do it. It weighs 65#, rated for 600W RMS, and is very compact for a 2x12. It's price is very nice, I paid around $675 for mine. Some of the others may sound better, don't know. But for the price, I think this one of the best out there.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  13. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    In what ways was the Delta superior to the GK?

I would guess low end for sure, but I would think the GK Neo cab would win in punch, clarity, and mids (usually associated with Neo speakers).

14. Aguilar, what's 10 pounds for tone? The casters make it easy to move around as well.

disclaimer: didn't find the epifani to be very punchy, wasn't a fan of the GK, but I have no idea what the others sound like, the aggie's incredible though

15. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

I have two Aguilar GS-212's. 70lbs ea. Casters' on both.They weigh 20 lbs less than my old 410. That alone makes me think they are easy to move around!! :D Killer tone with these cabs'. Me Likes!! :)

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

well the mids are stronger with the Neo driver, particularly the upper mids. The lows are a tad stronger with the Delta, overall a warmer sounding driver. I'm not a huge fan of the Neo's from this limited experience, and would agree with Jim Bergantino that maybe the technology has a way to go yet. I might be scrutinized for this comment as other Neos have peformed well for others. only my two cents.

p.s the GK Neo 2 X 12 would fair much better overall than the 112 for obvious reasons low-end wise. I wouldn't rule that one out. But I'd go for DrBass, Avatar or LDS using stock Eminence drivers. Bang for the buck.

17. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Here's one for vote for the Genz-Benz 2x12
    It is now the center of my new rig with an Ampeg SVP Pro Preamp, along with a Stewart World 1.2 sounds killer with any of my basses from my Lakland USA hollowbody to My Flea 5 hope to purchase a second Genz-Benz 2x12 by end of summer.

Peace out

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    +1 on the aguilar gs 2x12
    d