Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best of the "Nu"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassPanther, May 3, 2002.

1. Being a fan of the "nu" (stupid label) metal scene, and a bassist I was wondering what you guys think of some of the new bassists coming in. Here's the deal, I'll give you all a list of some of the bassists I like and you give me your opinion of them. Try to focus more on their skills then whether or not you like the music.

Fuzz- Disturbed
    Rayknow- Mudvayne
    Shavo Odadjian- System of a Down
    Robbie Merrel- Godsmack

If anyone has any other notables please let me know.

2. i wouldnt call SOAD numetal but i like their bassist and ryknow is pretty good, but i dont like mudvayne.

3. Ryknow's a cool bassist, from what I've heard of Mudvayne. There's definitely some interesting stuff going on there. I like SOAD, but Shavo's not really a great player, and I really dislike his tone. Don't get me wrong, he's solid, but nothing really impressive. I've heard very little of Disturbed or Godsmack, so it wouldn't be fair to try and pass comment on their bassists.

As for others, I hate Limp Bizkit as much as the next music fan, but Sam Rivers seems to be a half-decent bassist (I like the bassline to "Rearranged").

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Why does everyone hate that term "NuMetal"? What else would you call this stuff? :confused:

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    im not really shure *giggles*

6. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    "Garbage":D

Well, I sort of have a preference for old school metal... even though there are some "NU-metal" bands that I do like. Staind (on their first album), COLD (i think those guys are considered NU Metal)... It is my hope that the NU metal movement has opened a gate for a resurgence of ye olde metal... wishful thinking on my part. Oh well.....

In the mean tyme, I can settle for the NU stuff... or pull out my CDs and reminisce about the "good ol' dayz"

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

I couldn't agree more =D
    I like older thrash stuff.. like older tallica.. slayer.. =D anthrax... and alot of euro power metal =D

8. Please do not refer to Metallica as 'tallica. In Iceland, this is only done by boys with dyed hair, on cars that their parents bought them who also have a fixation with the popstar of the week. They are known as chockos. It is not a title you generally want to have, as it symbolizes everything that is wrong with music today.

:)

9. well that's nice and all but can we please get back to the topic

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yes, let's get back to the topic, but I think this topic is more about bassists than recordings. I'm moving it to "Bassists" where it may get many more responses.

11. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    OK Shavo and the guy from Godsmack suck,, they can hold a root note and thats IT!!

I don't like Mudvayne (or "MuDvAyNe" If you're a hardcore "NuMetalHed" hahaha) but rhyknow seems to have some cool chops.

As to "Fuzz" from Disturbed,, apparently he's actually a guitar shredder who knows just enough bass to make it big in a u wa ah ah ah type band.

Obviously i'm not a fan of "Nu Metal"

12. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    hope old school metal lovers won't get upset but my friends and i call old schol metal "metal for beer drinkers";))it's primitive ..."you're gonna die!!watch out to night we're gonna come for us!!":)) oh oh oh

13. Chi Cheng of Deftones(NOT A NUMETAL BAND!) lays down some good grooves.

14. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Well then what kind of music are the Deftones? Sounds like NuMetal to me? I love the Deftones and dont mind the term NuMetal either. What is negative about that term?

(Sorry....I know I'm off topic again. You may continue on you regularly scheduled dialogue)

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah,Rynow from Mudvayne is pretty good.The rest are just mostly guitar followers.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm not into the nu-metal scene, but i fawn on nearly every note that ryan martinie plays. awesome bassist, imo. as for the rest of the "bass players" in that genre...well, you know :D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm in the same boat as you.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

are you sure you can hack it onboard a submarine? ;) just messin' with ya man...i'm telling you, though, most of these bassists you hear on the radio nowadays are _hurtin'_ i still can't get over that yamaha ad in bass player featuring phil lipscomb of taproot...that just gives me the heeby jeebies, man. *shakes violently* hee hee

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You kidding? You'd fire me out the torpedo tubes within a week!

I was a bit worried about that Lipscomb ad myself. Ah, well, as long as guys like Martinie gives us yung'uns a good name, there is hope for the future of bass yet.

Doesn't help that I idolize the guy. The man plays the exact same sounds I hear in my head (but thus far cannot make).

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, i LOVE the sound he gets from his warwicks...and i think he plays through ampeg amps/cabs. don't know much about his signal chain.....crap, there isn't that much info about him on the web at all. i just don't know about that gcgcf tuning he uses...well, on one of his basses, anyway. dude just sounds wicked...i have the live in peoria dvd, and it rocks.