Best of the wee rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 15, 2003.

1. SWR-the 210 combo rig thing

9 vote(s)
  2. Fender-Bassman 400 combo

3 vote(s)
  3. Mesa Boogie-Venture(210 one)

14 vote(s)
  1. Of which 3 of these is the best, and why do you think so. (I may be buying one of them)
  2. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I use to own an SWR super redhead (the swr 2x10 thing) and traded it for a Mesa Boogie mpulse head and cab (same setup as the venture) an couldn't be happier. TheSWR is nice but the mesa gets all the ound of the swr and much much more. gotta love that parametric EQ and compression. Not to mention te Mesa Venture is almost twice the wattage of the redhead.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll take the Fender.
  4. Which of these would be able to recreate the ampeg tone
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Redhead is the ultimate studio/practice amp, and surprisingly loud. It is the best of the choices you have here. I would have one if I could afford it. No, not really. If I could afford what SWR wants for a Redhead I would get a Walter Woods. But, out of these? Get the Redhead.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about buying an Ampeg if you want the Ampeg tone?
  7. Well, I am probably gonna get the Fender, for I have found one I can easily obtain without spending an arm and a leg, or an eye and a kidney, or a spleen and a lung.....
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude don't get the fender combo. i don't get why anyone would get this. get the 400 watt head and the 4x10. both new are just as much as the 400 combo. you get 2 more tens for the same price...
  9. There should be some differentiation about SWR 210 combos. While the SuperRedhead is awesome, the more realistic SWR option for most would be the Workingman's 210 combo.
  10. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Out of what you have here the Mesa will come the closest. The mesa is one of the most versitile amps out there. I a/b ed my mpulse with the SWR, GK, and SVTpro heads and got all the their sounds out of the mesa and more. here's some more comparison for ya.

Mesa- 2 tube preamp
    SWR - 1 tube preamp

Mesa - 600watts
    SWR - 350watts

Mesa - 5 band semiparametric eq
    SWR - 3 band eq with Variable midrange
    Switchable turbo bass and transparency

Mesa- Compresor
    SWR - Enhancer

What the Mesa has the SWR doesn't
    -Footswitch for EQ, compression, FXloop, and Solo -volume
    -2 seperate volume controls
    -Pre and post switch for XLR out

What the SWR has the Mesa doesn't
    -Headphone out
    -Fan on/off switch
    -Built in rack space
  11. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Of the three mentioned I'd go with the Fender, but I think you should add the Peavey Bam 210 to your list. It's in the same price range and blows them all away IMHO!!:)
  12. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Go with the Fender 400 PRO, 350 watts of beautiful power, 500 if you add the 115 ext speaker. I got mine a few weeks ago and this baby sounds absolutely amazing and the 210 can handle my Lakland 55-02 low B like butter. I havent tried the messa but I hear the 400 pro holds its own and then some compared to the Redhead and ALL the other high profile combos out there, Eden, messa, Ashdown etc and could be gotten for under a grand. I got mine for 899.00 from Music 123 with free shipping direct from the Fender warehouse. Only drawback is it's pretty damn heavy, 80 lbs, but it does come with coasters which helps considerably :)