Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best of the worst Hofner rip-offs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 9, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been seeing a lot of really inexpensive Hofner copies lately, and was wondering if there is a BEST of these "el cheapos"...any one that stands above the rest as far as tone and construction are concerned, or if they are all made in the same factory, sold under different brands, and are equally bad. I'm not really interested in reviews of the individual basses (Jay Turser, Essex, Epiphone, etc.) as I can to this through a search. What I'm really interested in is information from people who have played several examples of the Beatle bass knock-offs and can compare. Anyone?

2. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    my buddy has a Vox violin bass. it looks like it's of some age and comming from me i would say that means 20 going on 30 years old this bass looks. i don't know about Vox. only that i saw a pic of the late rolling stones lead guitarist brian jones is it? any way i saw a pic of him playing a Vox. i don't if it's a cheap copy bass. plays smooth though. nice sound.

3. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well, I've played an Epi at Guitar Center for a few minutes and didn't like it all that much. Seemed to be a little bigger than a Hofner, though I could be wrong. It also had roundwounds, which I don't think fit that particular style of bass real well, so that could have colored my opinion -- but overall I wasn't that impressed. I ended up getting a Rogue Violin Bass through Musicians Friend and really like it. I put some Pyramid flatwounds on it and get a great sound out of it. So, between those two, I would definitely favor the Rogue.

Dino

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Another vote for the Rogue (boy, I never thought I would be saying that.....). It seems well-built and sounds great. The sound is closer to an upright than any of the basses I've ever owned.

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The new ones I don't know about but EKO use to make one and they are still available on the used market. A little more unique than any of the "Johnny Come Lately's" and considered by some to actually be better than the Hofner.

Whatever you choose, be sure it has the zero fret and floating bridge if you want the Hofner feel.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have an EKO violin shaped bass, but I have never had the pleasure to play a Hofner to compare it with.