Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best of these five 5stringers for fingerstyle rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MIA Jazz V (Fender Deluxe, Standard or Valenti)

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. MIA Precision V

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Rickenbacker 4004Cii/5

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Ernie Ball Stingray 5

43 vote(s)
    56.6%
  5. G&L L-2500

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What do you guys think. The best 5 stringer (Leo designed except for the Ric) for fingerstyle rock. No tappin, slappin or pickin...just fingerstyle rock-n-roll. I appreciate your responses.
    -Bazz-

Jazz V (Fender Deluxe, Standard or Valenti)
    Precision V (Fender Deluxe)
    Ric 4004Cii/5 (Cheyenne 5 string)
    Stingray 5
    G&L L-2500

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Gotta vote for the G&L. With flatwounds this thing is the whip!

3. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I am going with the Ric. Since I have 6 of them currently, it is necessary to go with what I know to be true...

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Fender Roscoe Beck should be on your list.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I know and I agree the tone is "there" but I've played one before and the darn neck is so big it was really tough for me to get around on.
    -Bazz-

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Stingray 5 all the way!!!!!!!!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Have you played the 5 string Precision and Jazz basses? They have basically the same neck.

8. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    The Lakland 5 string is large, but it has a nice low action and a tone that is to die for. I have small hands for my size. While the Lakland 35" scale is a bit of a stretch for me, I really enjoy playing it. I too play in the old style with no slapping or popping.

I owned a Ric 4001 once. That pickup cover drove me crazy. I hadn't heard of anyone removing it back then and I was hesitant to mess with such an expensive instrument. It was absolutely beautiful looking in its dark blue finish. It did not substitute well for a Fender bass, but it had its own tone and charm that made it a valuable addition to the harem of basses. Besides the obvious beauty of the instrument, it also felt great to hold and play. Wish I still had it.

I have a G&L import and have yet to change to flatwounds. Maybe I'll get it out this afternoon and do the deed. It plays nice with the roundwounds, but that just isn't my sound.

Good luck in making your decision.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Looks like the SR5 is leading the pack right now. That would be my choice out of the choices that were listed.

10. The G&L is a true sonic a$$kicking machine. It's at least as aggressive as the SR5, and it's got more tonal flexibility as well. The neck feels pretty much identical to the SR5, but the MFD pickups are what gives it the edge.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I have. I briefly owned the Deluxe Jazz V. I thought there was a noticeable difference. The Rosoe being wider at the heel and nut (I think...I know it was wider at the heel) and thicker profile. At least it felt that way to me.
    Thx!
    -Bazz-

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tough choice. ;)

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate it. :D

-Bazz-

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    For rock, all you need is the bridge pickup. An MM or G&L style pickup will pick up the entire bridge area sweet spot. That eliminates the Rick and the Jazz.

However, an MM pickup covers the sweet spot with more harmonic accuracy, so scratch off the G&L (which is my favorite of the basses on here, but you did say "rock" bass).

We are left with the P and the Stingray. It was a close call for me between the P and the Stingray; the P can emulate both a traditional P and a Stingray. The Stingray on the other hand, can only do a Stingray.

I choose the Stingray for the following reasons: Better pickup, better preamp, and most importantly, more comfortable neck. I can't play a 4 string P-Bass let alone a 5 (for that matter, I can't play a Stingray 5 b/c the string spacing is too narrow). The P-neck is more like a rounded block of wood than a bass neck. But if that's your thing, or if you have no preference, I'd go with the P for more versatility.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sr5 :bassist:

16. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    In my humble opinion it's the SR5, which is almost as good as the SR4, (2 band), so it has my vote of these choices.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Almost as good as the Sr4? Umm..no? The SR5 has sterling electronics, ie: 3 band with pickup selector.

18. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to say that my experience with a G&L L-2500 and an SR5, both of which I love, does not lead me to think that their necks feel nearly identical. The 2500 I play now has a substantially chunkier neck than the SR5 I used to play. Both basses sounded great, and your whole list looks pretty solid really, but it might be easier to give you an answer if we knew who or what you hope to sound like.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But it doesn't nail the 'Ray 4 tone, which makes the SR4 better in my book. That one tone is better than the versatility of the SR5 or the Sterling.

Of the choices listed above, bazz, I would go for the G&L. One of the most versatile basses ever made.

20. I've got a RBV and there isn't really a tone I can't get. It can pretty much sound like any of the basses listed (except maybe the Rick), and versatility is the name of the game!